The Death Cliff | Teen Ink

The Death Cliff

By Karen Zheng BRONZE, Cary, North Carolina
Karen Zheng BRONZE, Cary, North Carolina

My step daughter, Avie and I were having many problems ever since her father died in a tragic car accident. She would never listen to me, and would complain about me to her friends. It hurt when her deep, dark violet eyes looked at me with hatred. Her friends would sympathize and they would start to hate me too. After mentioning it to my best friend, she recommended for me to take her to somewhere that we would both enjoy.
I thought about it, and remembered that her father had mentioned Avie loved hiking. I didn’t enjoy hiking that much, but I could probably deal with it. After doing a quick search, I decided to take her hiking at Grandfather Mountains. We could get to know each other better and possibly become closer.
After I told her, she reluctantly agreed. It would be this weekend. On the five hour car ride, we didn't talk. Not one word. I told myself that it would all change after this promising trip. When we finally got there at 6, I made dinner and told her that we would start hiking tomorrow.
The next day, I showed her the mountain we would be going to be climbing. She suppressed a small grin; her childhood was coming back to her. I smiled back. We walked along a cliff to get to the peak. On the cliff, I began to feel strange. I started staggering and feeling nauseated. Avie noticed and asked if I was okay, and if I wanted to go back to our camp. Ignoring the pain, I told her that I was fine.

Then all of a sudden, I had an urge to kill. It wasn't a feeling I ever had before. I told Avie that I had to rest. I sat against a tall, oak tree hoping that the feelings were going to go away. That was NOT the case. Avie came and sat down next to me. My condition must have looked very bad; she was looking at me like I was some sort of monster. Her face went pale and her eyes looked alarmed.
“What’s wrong??” I asked.

“You look different.” she said.
“I‘m feeling different” I whispered.
“I seriously think we should go back to the camp” she urged.

“NO! I have to show you something” I harshly insisted.
“Are you sure? Well, Ok.” she finally said.
I took her to a high mountain cliff, my strange killing feelings were still there. Then something overcame me, and I pushed her. She fell straight down the cliff and landed with a hard thump. Without shedding a tear, I left her there, and went back to the camp. No thoughts were going through my head. I didn’t know what I was thinking or anything at all. It was like something had possessed me and turned me into a cold-blooded murderer.
The next morning, I went back to the cliff and looked down. There was blood everywhere. Her head was cracked open and she looked lifeless and cold. Then I stared in surprise. I did this to her. That had not registered in my brain yesterday. Strange.
Not wanting to deal with the consequences, I buried her in a ditch that I dug and piled stones on top. Then I left and began packing my things to go back home. Back home, I told the police that Katie had wandered off and I never found her. There were massive search parties, but they never found her. Only traces of blood near the bottom of a tall cliff.
A few years later, I met someone else and we got married. I forgot all about Avie. It was like the whole incident was a dream. We had a big green-eyed baby named Blair. By the time she was 6, she had found out about Avie. She wanted to see the mountains where Avie had been “lost”. I couldn’t resist not taking her, so I did.
I showed Blair the cliff where blood was found. It was odd to me that Blair hadn’t complained the whole 5 hour trip. She had been very quiet as we hiked all the way to the cliff.

As I was looking at her, she suddenly said

“Why’d you push me down, MOTHER?” Her voice held no emotion. Then I realized it sounded just like Avie’s.

Before I could answer, she looked at me, her hands to my back and pushed me down the cliff. Her eyes flashed an angry deep, dark purple.