Nightmare | Teen Ink

Nightmare

By carens BRONZE, Commack, New York
carens BRONZE, Commack, New York

A cool current of water spread between his legs; cool enough to put several Goosebumps across his warm body. He felt uneasy, with his hand-made spear gun at his side, his dive skin on, his dark, and rubber Oceanic face mask on tight, tight enough to keep the Caribbean water out of his eyes, he moved on. His dive buddy, whom he had never met, but with him and prepared for the worst, was right alongside him. As they swam, his moderate uneasiness grew like an unstoppable cancer, he knew he had to get out of the deep, dark water, but all of a sudden a considerable amount of weight had dropped from his already light weight body, this confused him, and slowly turned to see that his buddy was not there. He began to panic, he swam as fast as he could to any direction, he needed to find him. His uneasiness grew even more, but he then realized how his swimming was off, his left leg was fatiguing, and his right had no feeling. He then felt the urge to turn and look at his legs, and saw that his right leg was brutally sawed off. He did not know what to do, he remembered his training, and how he should keep calm, but he could not, he tried screaming, but no sound came out. He went blind as the rest of the dark water turned darker, he felt the pressure slightly ease on his face, the warm Caribbean breeze flew past him, as he floated there, he could not breathe, he tried with all of his might to, and when he finally got one breath in, he sunk back down into the deep dark depths of the ocean.

Bubbles flowing past his face, his mask fell off, his spear gun was gone, and his dive skin was lost, all he had on was a bathing suit. As he fell farther into the abyss, extremely warm water pressed up against his cold body, and began to burn him, his skin was boiling hot, his eyes where stinging, and his wound was screaming in pain. Everything stopped once he hit a hard wooden surface, he could feel it with his weak hands, the wreck they where fishing at the year before. He could remember the sound of the wood swaying as the current hit it, he could remember the feel of old and slimy wood, and most of all he could remember the sight. A quick current passed his chilled neck, then another, it went dark again, and he was blind once more. It quickly went bright, like when he was sleeping and his dad flicked the switch when it was time to get up. It was at first too bright, but as he got used to it, there they where, several thousands of sharks circling him, he was stunned, his body was paralyzed, he couldn’t even think. A shark bumped up against his half leg, which awakened him from the blankness, he looked down at his half leg and saw it was there again, he tried to scream but nothing came out, not even bubbles or vibrations. At this point his heart rate was increasing to a point where it was fatiguing itself.

Pushing up against the weight of the water, he swam up and up until the warmth of the Caribbean breeze swayed against his pale soft face. The sun was out but it was dark, the boats around him where all sunken ships, the fins where still swimming around him, he cried and cried but no tears came, he screamed and screamed but no sound came out, he tried swim but he could not move his body. The sweat built up on his face. The scream and tears came out as he pushed up his head, his body jumped, his eyes opened, and he saw his dad with his brother and grandpa in the car. They immediately turned to him, and asked if he was all right, he then preceded to say yes in a relieved manner. It was all just a nightmare, he thought to himself, he began to wipe off the sweat, and move his legs. As they arrived at the dock, they unloaded the truck, and loaded everything back onto the boat. The smell of the diesel engine filled his nostrils along with the warm Caribbean air. They arrived at their spot and suited up. He got his dive skin on, his hand-made spear gun at his side, and his black plastic and rubber Oceanic facemask was placed on tight, tight enough to keep the water out of his eyes. They jumped into the warm water, and descended. Then a cool current of water spread between his legs putting several Goosebumps across his warm body, then that instant thought came to him, and the uneasiness grew.

I want the reader to have his eyes glued to the text, wanting to see what will happen next, and when the nightmare will end.

achrissy123 said...
That was such a great story! I really enjoyed it!