The Room | Teen Ink

The Room

By taylor_lucille GOLD, Knoxville, Tennessee
taylor_lucille GOLD, Knoxville, Tennessee

If your a hammer, everything looks like a nail. If your a singer, everything looks like a song. -Steven Tyler

I haven’t seen the sun in a long time. I’m locked up so no one can find me. I have been in this room since I was three. The Man brought me here. My only friend is Room. I eat, sleep, and live in Room. Room is my fantasy land. I can, do and be anything I want in it. It’s my own little world. I’ll tell you about it.

When you first walk in, you will see blank, dusty, molded chalk white walls. I don’t like them. I tried to give them a little color with the pictures The Man gave me. On the first wall, there are pictures of the seasons. Summer (a picture of a dog jumping for a Frisbee in the hot sun), fall (a picture of three kittens in a pile of orange, yellow, and brown leafs), winter (a picture of a black crow on leafless tree covered in snow), and spring (a picture of a bunny in a field of flowers). I like to think of the animals as friends.

The ceiling is sunk in and molded from the water that leaks through it when it rains. The floor is white, and it is hard and cold. There’s nothing to cover it but a straw mat, where I eat and cook, and a towel. Next to the mat is a fire maker. I warm and cook my food with it. The Man brings me stocks every now and then to light it and make it burn more. I have two tiny shelves on the wall next to the fire maker. I put my small pan, my little pot, my spoon, fork, knife, little spatula, and plastic cup on there. Next to the Shelves, there is a mini cooler. I keep milk, eggs, small butter sticks, a loaf of bread, and a pack of chocolate chip cookies in there.

My bed is old and crumbly. The bars are rusted and have holes in them. When I sit, lay, or move on it you can hear the springs popping, and they poke you too. I have an old stained matrice with a few holes in it. I put an, old, thin shredded sheet on the matrice to try and cover up the holes. It worked a little. My pillow is soggy and molded from me crying myself to sleep every night when I was three and four. I use a sort-of-new blanket to cover me up every night. It has a few holes in it, but it doesn’t get in the way till winter. Above my bed is a day chart. It counts the days in a year. The Man gives me a new one every year.

In the corner of the room, I have a wooden chair. It wobbles a little, but it doesn’t bother me. There are three picture books next to it. The Man gives me a book every year on the day of my birth. I don’t know how to read, but I make up stories to go with the pictures I see.

On the next wall, there is a medium sized plastic green box with silver tape covering the cracks. There is a hole at the bottom of the box and a plug there too. A pipe comes out from the floor and it has a knob that lets out water when you turn it. Five bottles of shampoo are lined up agents the outside of the box and a bar of soap is in it. Three big towels, two medium towels, and a small towel are on the other side of the box. I wash my food holders in the box, and I take a bath in the box.

Last is my potty. It’s made out of wood with a porcelain inside. I pull a string on the wall to flush it. The wipes are on the floor stacked in a pyramid. There’s a foggy mirror next to the potty, and another tiny shelf for my brush, tooth paste, and tooth brush.

That’s my room and it looks like I will be in here forever. Can you help me get out?

A descriptive essay on a fake room.

thank you (:

Mani2x SILVER said...
Mani2x SILVER, Chicago, Illinois

I was born an original, I'm not going to die a copy.

This is pretty good. =)

Thanks so much :)

Fabala_G BRONZE, Broomfield, Colorado

"Try to learn to breathe deeply,
really to taste food when you eat,
and when you sleep, really to sleep.
Try as much as possible to be
wholly alive, with all your might,
and when you laugh, laugh like hell,
and when you get angry, get good
and angry. Try to be alive. You will
be dead soon enough."
William Saroyan

Well if you ever get a chance I think this would make a fantastic book!

I'm actually working on a book right now. I was thinking of making this into a book, but decided not to.

Fabala_G BRONZE, Broomfield, Colorado

"Try to learn to breathe deeply,
really to taste food when you eat,
and when you sleep, really to sleep.
Try as much as possible to be
wholly alive, with all your might,
and when you laugh, laugh like hell,
and when you get angry, get good
and angry. Try to be alive. You will
be dead soon enough."
William Saroyan

This was very interesting. I'd love to see you expand on this into a longer story :)

ok ill take a look

UNserieswriter, New York

idk my bff jill

wow. not the reply i expected..sorry. now i'm honestly curious on what you would think of my work. please comment on either.

Thank you so much

Andromeda GOLD said...
Andromeda GOLD, Wichita Falls, Texas

"You don't have time for self-doubt. Self-doubt hinders your ability to write and all writers experience it anyway. You just need confidence in your own ability." -CarrieAnn13

I abslutely love how clear the images are painted into my head. It makes me want to read more, to know why they're there and where the story is going. This situation naturally creates curiosity and grabs your attention. Well done :)

i got the idea to right about a room like this when my friend had to do a report on child abuse. 

UNserieswriter, New York

idk my bff jill

defintely original. is this how you feel about your room? it reminds me of the story Saphique. 
Can you please read my story The Underground Network (chapter 15 please) and Roman League if you have the time. PLEASE COMMENT. Great work and thanks in advance!

thank you 

thank you. 

WordsRUs GOLD said...
on Dec. 10 2011 at 10:55 am
WordsRUs GOLD, Jefferson City, Missouri
You've got an interesting piece there. Your imagery is sharp, as it would have to be to succeed with such a subject. Your writing never gets bland or dull. My only complaint is that if you're going for an atmosphere of total despair, you should leave out things like cookies and the ability for the child to bathe. Of course, if you're trying to make the Man an enigma, such items develop his character, causing the reader to pause and wonder why he allows such things. But your piece really is wonderful. It's refreshing to see someone with such a mastery of diction.

Emma said...
on Dec. 10 2011 at 10:51 am
Really good! and you did an amazing job making the character ,I really felt bad for him... and also I love how it seems like he used to hate the room but now he is used to it and knows he probably will live there forever.  The only question I have is how did he get in the room and who is keeping him there? :) Great Job - Emma