That Icy Cold December Morning | Teen Ink

That Icy Cold December Morning

By cristina18131 BRONZE, Dobbs Ferry, New York
cristina18131 BRONZE, Dobbs Ferry, New York

I woke up confused about everything that was going on. My eyes were blood red and warm tears burnt my face as they streamed down my cold cheek. I wanted to believe everything was okay but it wasn’t. I knew it wasn’t….
The only things on Emily’s mind were her brand-new flavored lip gloss and me. That ice cold December morning Emily stood still as she waited for the bus. The soles of her shoes felt as if permanently attached to the sidewalk; she could barely move on her brown fluffy Uggs. Later, she angrily dropped herself onto a chair. Looking up at the blackboard and wrote when I saw her look back at me with furious eyes. Hatred filled the atmosphere as she stared at me non-stop. Emily got up and stomped her way to the back of the room just so she could feel the joy of shoving the heavy science textbooks out off my table. “Oops!” she said as she turned around and walked back to her seat smiling.
Soon the bell rang for lunch and then recess… Icy snow everywhere but felt warm as people crowded around the short golden haired boy with the shining blue eyes which resembled the stars on a clear night. By the old swing set Elliot laid on the wet now as blood flowed down his forehead.
*****************************************************
A beautiful sunny Thursday afterschool I playfully grinned at Elliot, I had no idea what was coming neither did he. I got up and started to walk away because my mom said to be home by 3:30 but he grabbed my arm and pulled me back down.
“Gotta go, mom’s gonna freak if I don’t go home now” I said.
“Stay” he begged.
“Why? My mom will kill me if I don’t. We’ll see each other tomorrow” I said with a bold cheery smile.
“Okay… Wanna come over to my house later? So we can hang…” He said addressing his muddy sneakers.
“Sure I’ll call you around 4!” My best friend was amazing and I would never get tired of spending time with him.
He leaned in and opened his arms; a fake smile filled his face. I knew something was wrong but I chose to ignore it. It was a grave mistake. When I got home I called him as I had promised. He whispered into the phone “We can’t hang out at my place my parents are having friends over today, sorry. Another time maybe?”
“Oh… But I really wanted to see you, can you come over to my house then?” I asked softly.
“Yeah!! That’s totally awesome I’ll be there around 5” He said, I could feel excitement in his voice.
“Awesome” My enthusiasm always made him happy. Seeing him happy always made me smile.
Buzz…Buzz… I rushed to get my phone and read the text:
I’m here, come down. Too lazy to ring the bell, haha anyways hurry
-Ely
I jumped over my bed and ran down the stairs. I opened the door and carelessly threw myself into his arms to give him a big hug. Then we decided to go for a walk around my neighborhood, and just talk about everything. At 7:00 he finally went home after a long funny day. I didn’t realize that was the last time I would see him smile…
**************************************************

Everything got blurry as I dropped down to the cold ground and my eyes filled with tears, I could only think of the happy boy I knew. My best friend, laying there a lake of blood that slowly grew larger and larger. Then suddenly everything turned dark.

Eliot was on one side and Emily on the other, my eyes still filled with tears . He was peacefully grinning at me but she was crying. He said that everything was okay just a kid started punching him and he fainted but that’s all, and then Emily spoke he quiet soft voice “I made him do it. I knew you cared about Eliot so I thought the right thing to do was get my friend to hurt him. I know it wasn’t, it wasn’t even your fault that Emma got mad at me I just hated you because she chose you over me so umm I…” and then she stopped and looked down at the floor but then she started again, “… made Julio threaten Eliot but he always stood up for you, I really didn’t…I’m sorry”

“It’s okay, I mean… I kind of over reacted but the truth is that I care for my friends and if anything happened to them it would hurt me so much” when I spoke these words I truly meant them.

“You do over-react a lot, don’t you?” He smiled.