The Thing from the Storm | Teen Ink

The Thing from the Storm

By MaddyBall SILVER, Au Sable Forks, New York
MaddyBall SILVER, Au Sable Forks, New York

"What lies before us and what lies behind are are tuny matters compared to what lies within us." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

It was a dark and stormy night. I was home alone and the power had gone out. I could hear all sorts of noises, mostly just the wind and the rain beating against the cold windowpanes. But then I heard that creepy, high pitched giggle that made the blood in my veins turn cold and a shudder to rip through my body.

I had heard that giggle so many times in the last week, but I thought it was just my imagination. I thought maybe it was something on the TV or radio, or maybe it was my little sister playing with the dog. But now, I knew it was none of those. I was alone. The TV and radio weren’t on. My sister was at her friend’s.

I got up from the couch and looked around the living room. The candles I had lit to chase the dark away were casting dark shadows on the walls. The corners were in shadow and I could feel someone was watching me from those shadows.

I heard the giggle again, and I picked up the flashlight I had been using to do my chemistry homework. I shined the light in the corners but nothing was there.

That is so strange, I thought to myself. I shook my head and tried to tell myself that I was being paranoid. It wasn’t working.

I heard something run behind me. I whirled around to face whatever it was, but there was nothing there. The giggling was now constant. The shudders were coming every few seconds. I could feel the hair on the back of my neck stand up.

Suddenly, my cell phone went off. The song “Moves Like Jagger” was playing. I jumped literally two feet in the air. When my heartbeat finally went back to normal, I picked up the phone and pressed the talk button.

“Hello?” I said into the phone.

There was no answer.

“Hello? Anyone there?” I asked again.

Still no answer.
“Okay, whoever you are, you better tell me what you want RIGHT now,” I said, getting scared again.
“I’m your worst nightmare,” a voice said. Then came the giggle again. I dropped the phone. The voice was so familiar.
The flashlight that was still in my hand flickered and the door slammed open. I whirled around as the wind and the rain came pouring into the house. The candles went out. The lightening made night into day and I could see a dark shadow in the doorway.
“Wh-what do you want from me?” I asked, my voice wavering on account of the fear I was feeling.
The thing giggled. It came toward me and I backed away. It never made a sound except for that giggle. I could see its teeth, shining in the darkness, with saliva dripping from its mouth. It was weird, it was scary, and I could tell it was completely deadly.
It lunged forward and I screamed and ran in the opposite direction. I wove my way through my messy living room, into the hall, and into the bathroom. The door was four inches thick, made of heavy oak wood. The lock was brand new. I hoped it would keep whatever that thing was from getting to me.

I locked the door and stepped backwards into the bathtub. Ever since I was little I had an urge to climb into the bathtub when I was scared. This was no different.

The thing threw itself against the door, trying to get to me. I could still hear that awful giggling. The door was strong, the door would hold. I told myself this over and over again, but I knew that whatever that thing was, a door wasn’t going to keep it from getting to me forever. I knew this deep in my heart, and I was proven correct when the door slammed open, the lock destroyed.
It came towards me. I had nowhere to go. It had shepherded me into the bathroom. It knew I couldn’t get out. I did exactly what it wanted. How could I have been so stupid? The thing’s nails were so long that it was two feet away from me and they almost touched me.
The nails were sharp and steely. I knew my time was up. It was over and there was nothing I could do.
The last thing I saw before it attacked was its horrible smile. That last thing I heard was that awful giggle. Then everything faded to silence and the darkness took me.

This was an assignment for my English clas, and I might write something more for it, because writing it was a lot of fun!

on Nov. 29 2011 at 10:15 am

Yeah im gonna add more to it.  the gir is gonna wake up in the hopital and tries to figure out exactly what happened to her.  and the reason the creature's appearance isnt really described is becassue she only ntices the major things, like the teeth, the smile, the laugh, and the black cloak thing its wearing.  and the giggling is familiar because she has heard it a lot but she doesnt know where.

Legumes said...
Legumes, Germantown, Tennessee
Is there going to be a sequel? Why was the voice familiar? Was it their sister?

Fran333 PLATINUM, Santa Ana, Other

"If you're unwilling to be aware of the darkness, you cannot see the light."

The suspense is really good, and the writing is great, but could you describe the creature's appearance a little more? and why is it's voice familiar? is there a continuation of this? it's really good.