The breakup | Teen Ink

The breakup

By Holly Leafty BRONZE, Council Bluffs, Iowa
Holly Leafty BRONZE, Council Bluffs, Iowa

“Mark, hello? You didn’t hear a word I just said, did you?” Hannah asked as the last bell rang. The couple was quietly talking while leaning against the maroon lockers in the middle of the hallway. School was just ending and the last few students hurried out of the building, leaving Mark and Hannah alone.

“Yes, I heard you. Why do you have to yell at me all of the time? It’s always something I did wrong.”

“Why don’t you ever pay attention to me? I understand you have your football buddies, but I’m your girlfriend. I deserve a little attention too.”

“You’re always blaming them for everything. It’s never you. It’s always someone else. I can never win,” Mark exclaimed, raising his voice to a shout.

“Oh my gosh. I can’t get through to you. It’s like I’m talking to a brick wall. You know what Mark, I can’t do this anymore. We’re done.”
Mark watched Hannah walk quickly down the empty hallway and out the doors of the school.
What did I just do? He thought. I just lost the most wonderful girl in my life. I’m such an idiot. She’s my world, and now she’s gone. My world is gone. He felt hurt, heartbroken, defeated and destroyed. Soon his emptiness became anger. Mixed emotions swam through his body and heartbreaking thoughts ran across his mind. He slowly walked down the hallway, passing the lockers as he approached the doors. He pushed open the doors and climbed into his shiny black truck. Mark drove angrily and aimlessly, with nothing but Hannah on his mind.
She hates me. He thought. She’s going to find someone else. Someone better. I’m not good enough for her. I’m not good enough for anyone. Mark’s thoughts overcame him and took control of him as his truck began to pick up speed. How could she hurt me like that? Why would she do this to me? I hate her. I’ll get revenge, and she’ll regret this.
Suddenly, an extremely booming thud shattered through Mark’s thoughts as well as his windshield. He slammed on the breaks and immediately halted in the middle of the road. Cars behind him and oncoming traffic stopped as well. Screeching tires and furious drivers filled the air. Crowds began to congregate around the scene. Mark opened his truck door, climbed down and wandered around to the front. Mark was then staring at a lifeless blood-soaked woman lying face-up on the cement.

I think some teens may relate to this story, because relationships usually end in a fight. I wrote a relatable piece, but with a twisting end.

AnimaCordis GOLD, London, Other

"Evil is when the good do nothing"

Wooooooo that's a great ending!