Brynleigh's Secret | Teen Ink

Brynleigh's Secret

She once had a secret hiding place. It was a place, where she hid. It was a place where she could go to be alone with her thoughts, and no one would bother her. No one else knew about this spot except her. This girls name was Brynleigh, and although she was the prettiest and most popular girl in the school, she had a horrible secret that could ruin her entire life if anyone was to ever find out.

Brynleigh was a 14 year old freshman at her high school. She played a lot of sports; volleyball, basketball, track and softball. She had an average family, her mom and dad, and her older brother named Jake, who was 17. Brynleigh had a lot of friends, and most girls would kill to see her fall. Everyone thought she had it all, but really, she didn't.

Brynleigh's secret came alive at night, and that's why she went home every night before 9:00 PM. She never stayed out late with her friends or went to parties like most high school kids do. She was way too afraid that her secret would get out, and then her life would never be the same again.

When Brynleigh was 4 years old, she discovered her secret. Her parents always swore to her that it didn't change anything about her, and that someday she would find a man that would love her for who she is, and would accept her, despite her secret.

Kids that she went to school with began realizing Brynleigh's strange behavior, how she never wanted to go to parties or stay out late. Her friends asked why, but she never gave them an answer.

Two years later, and Brynleigh was a junior in high school. She still had perfect grades, her love for sports, and her best friends. The only thing that had changed was she now had a boyfriend. She started dating her boyfriend, Lucas, at the end of her sophomore year. Now that it was halfway through her junior year, her and Lucas had become a little more serious. Brynleigh was so scared that Lucas would find out her secret, but at the same time, he was curious why she never wanted to spend time with him after 9 o'clock.

One night, after thinking it over so many times, Brynleigh decided it was time to tell Lucas her secret. She had asked him to meet her outside of her house at midnight. The night came faster than she had hoped, but she knew it was something she had to do. At midnight, Brynleigh snuck downstairs and outside into the freezing cold, only wearing sweat pants and a t-shirt. Lucas was excited to see his girl, but really concerned why she thought it was important to see him at midnight. Smiling back at him, Brynleigh knew it was time to reveal her secret, and she uncovered her face.