Wandering Dead | Teen Ink

Wandering Dead

October 7, 2011
By ChristineNicole BRONZE, Maplewood, Missouri
ChristineNicole BRONZE, Maplewood, Missouri
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

There I was wondering through the forest of Ever Glade. What had brought me out here, I didn’t know. All I knew is that intuition had told me something was waiting for me in the cold, dark night. The most dreaded feeling of this is all, was that I wasn’t scared. I could feel the eyes all around me, waiting for me to make the wrong move.

In the distant I heard a crunch of leaves. I stopped dead in my tracks and listened. After minutes of standing, all I heard was the sway of trees in the whispering wind.

“Creepy,” I breathed. I continued to walk and I finally noticed something. This was my dream. I remember the tall, green oaks scattered around bushes of red and yellow. The chipmunks all bouncing around waiting for a nut to fall to the ground. The eery fog that floated through the air. The feeling of bewilderment and confidence all at once. I knew what was happening and I knew where my next few steps would take me.

I jogged some and finally saw the clearing. It was like one of those fairy tales where light seemed to only shine on this part of the world. In this area I saw flowers of all colors. I saw life and laughter fill the air. What was going on? Why had I brought myself here and why did a shiver keep running up and down my spine?

You appeared out of no where and at first you didn’t even show yourself. You seemed to dance around me, so light on your feet. I caught glimpses here and there and I gasped at your beauty. Your hair fell down in curls of blond. Your eyes were as bright as the blue above us.

For the first time in my life, I felt afraid. I didn’t know why I was here and why you kept that longing gaze on me. I walked further into the clearing waiting for you to speak. When I got into the very center, you stopped. Your eyes and hair became black and every trace of happiness disappeared.

“You live your life with no regrets. You live on the dangerous side and don’t bear the consequences. Now is the time for you to pay your due. No one will hear you speak again or feel the presence of your skin. Dead. Dead. Dead you will be. Now be gone and fall to the ground!”

You sang out and I could feel my body freezing. You continued to stare at me with pure black eyes, as if you could see through my entire being. My heart started beating faster and faster until I couldn’t feel it anymore. It was as if the beating had become so rapid, that I had gone numb to the feeling of it upon my chest. I tried looking down, but my body was frozen in place. I looked in hysterics around me and I could hear the silent scream in my head, but couldn’t get it into words.

You laughed. A cackling, screeching noise that pierced the night sky.

“Pay your due my dear.”

With those last words, I fell down to the ground. All I could do was look at you with pleading in my eyes. You smiled and floated above me with such ease.


In a second you disappeared and I was left alone in this little clearing. Nothing but the sound of birds and leaves rustling around me. In that moment, I gave up. I closed my eyes and let every last ounce of life lift from my body.

“It’s over. It’s over. It’s all over..”