The Conspirator Slays the Knight | Teen Ink

The Conspirator Slays the Knight

By SerbiaTakesCntrl GOLD, Pompano Beach, Florida
SerbiaTakesCntrl GOLD, Pompano Beach, Florida

"There are those who say that life is like a book, with chapters for each event in your life and a limited number of pages to which you can spend your time. But I prefer to think that a book is like a life, particularly a good one, and is well worth staying up all night to finish."
— Lemony Snicket (Horseradish: Bitter Truths You Can't Avoid)

The white knight lay still along the sanded stones of a pathway chosen not oft by the present village inhabitants.
The night was over.
The early morning had just begun.
A single figure stood above the corpse, a blade methodically dripping of something once stilled.
What a pity he was so loyal.
What a shame he had to die.
Still a greater shame, should he have lived for the sake of the one woman who had wronged the figure.
In every way possible.
The man, the figure, the dark soldier, the slayer turned to wait in hefty silence for the woman in question.
Even more to pity was the slayer himself.
Because, when you're so in love that you go crazy with want, it's quite hard to see reality.
And when reality becomes skewered, it slowly cracks, then shatters, and all you have left are mangled pieces to watch in melancholy.
Before long, that reality seems fake, and all you know are the twisted pieces you created from it, in hopes of putting it back together again.
And before you know it, you've gone mad.

This is an excerpt from a story I'm writing, where two childhood friends, now grown, battle one another over loyalty. The betrayer prevails, leaving his friend to drown in his noble blood.