Like Him

“We’ll always be together.”

I scoffed, “What, in our hearts?”

“You’ll see,” he whispered before closing his eyes. When he opened them again I tried not to flinch. His normal brown changed into bloodshot white slits and a pained sound ripped through his throat. He turned.

I stood up quickly, refusing to watch as he attempted to bite through the bars of his cage. The sound of groaning metal echoed around the room as he reached for my flesh. With a sudden creak the cage doors lifted and he slowly stumbled out. Eyes wide with horror I finally understood what he meant. We would be together; dead.

“John,” I whispered softly as he limped towards me; the bandages from his wounds slowly trailed behind him.

I rushed to the metal door, separating myself from the executioners, and started banging loudly on it. Horrified to hear only heard silence on the other side I leaped around John, hopping on top of the rusted cage and pressing my body against the wall.

“So this is what you meant.” I glared bitterly at the shell of what used to be my best friend. “You want me to turn into what you are too. You left the cage unlocked! You planned it all out!” I screamed out the accusations, choking back a sob, “I want to live.”

His hungry eyes never strayed from me, and with tunnel vision he pointlessly reached up slamming against the cage, arms uselessly reaching. I shifted my weight and the metal shuddered. It was only a matter of time before it gave out. There were no windows in the room. No weapons, no escape. Only the guard at the end of the corridor would be able to hear me, but I sent him away, begging for privacy with John for his last few moments. He knew this. I screamed loudly again, but I could hear no footsteps, no shining knight to save me. John was always my knight, but i guess I didnt realize his armor was rusted.

The metal beams scraped loudly as they broke apart and his arms reached to envelope me.

I could almost hear him whisper, always together, as he sank his flesh-eating teeth into me. The infection coursed through my veins as he ripped through me and I could hear faint shouts.

I closed my eyes; they would find me in time to stop him from killing me. I’ll be forever undead, like him.

eMiLyP said...
Aug. 4, 2011 at 8:42 am
I really like this! I really liked the whole plot. Well done!