Beauty Is Everywhere | Teen Ink

Beauty Is Everywhere

By Delictious GOLD, Lubbock, Texas
Delictious GOLD, Lubbock, Texas

"I would like to be remembered as a woman who did the best she could with the talent she had."

Heather watched as rain drop after rain drop plodded softly onto the window sill. Grey clouds rolled over head, leaving behind only puddles to prove they had been there. Nobody was surprised of this sudden outburst of rain; it was just another showery day in their old, minuscule town.
Getting up off the couch, Heather hobbled over to the front door. Her warm hand on the doorknob, she turned and took a step outside. Moist air surrounded her at once, and a strong scent of pine trees, cigarettes, and paint greeted her. She turned to see someone painting a tree, lighted cigarette dangling from his mouth.
It was strange seeing someone smoke in this town, cigarettes weren’t even sold in the stores. The nearest place to get them was more that 200 miles away, only the occasional person passing through lit up as they went.
“You know that’s not healthy,” Heather stated, limping over to the man, “it will kill your lungs.” He turned; brush ladled with paint in hand, and gave her the toothiest grin she had ever seen.
“I know,” he said, turning back to his work, “but why should I care?” Brushing the bristles against the rough bark, he left one single diagonal line on the rotting tree in a bright red color. He sprinted to the river, rinsed the brush, and headed back again, dipping the brush into a different can of paint.
“What are you doing?” Heather asked, watching him make another tilted line, across from the other. He didn’t answer, just stopped and looked at his mark. Holding the brush to his side, slow drops of neon pink paint spotted the ground below.
“I’m leaving my mark in this awful world,” he mumbled, nodding at his work and running back to the river to rinse the brush again. Heather plopped onto the grass and watched him soak the brush in yet another can of paint.
Working in silence, the man painted two connected curved lines at the top of the two slanted ones in an electric green color. Heather studied the heart that had just been painted on the withering tree. He was leaving his mark, in his own unique way.
Grabbing a smaller brush, he painted a thin line running across the heart in a blood red color. Stepping back, he smiled in approval of his work and sat down.
“So,” he began, “why do you limp when you walk?” I sighed, looking down at my leg. I explained that when I was little, my leg had been crushed under a huge tree that had fallen while I was playing in the woods. The bones didn’t recover properly, causing me to have this dreadful limp. Once I was finished, he nodded and snarled, “Life sucks.”
“I told you my story,” Heather said, looking straight into his dark, brown eyes, “now you have to tell me yours.” He looked down at his lap, splattered with the different colors of paint he had used to paint the symbol.
“I have cancer,” he whispered, “the doctors told me I was going to die in a couple months, so I checked out and tried to make the best of these last minutes I have. I went around the world, trying to find the most gorgeous places I could. When I found someplace that made me gasp with the magnificence of it, I would paint my heart to symbolize me living on.” A single hot tear ran down his face as he spoke, Heather fought back tears of her own.
“What made you want to paint your heart here?” she asked, “This place is old and rundown, not beautiful.” He looked up, Heather could see the long red streak on his right cheek, and beamed at her.
“This place,” he began, “is the most glorious place I have seen on my entire journey. The whole simplicity just makes the entire town glow with pride, and it being run down gives a unique meaning to beautiful.” Hearing all this, Heather studied her town with new eyes. It did have a weird loveliness about it, how the broken windows caught the sunlight, and the puddles reflecting the dim rainbow stretched across the dull sky.
“Wow,” Heather gasped, “you were right, this place is magical.” She turned to the man, but he was gone. The only thing left was a small locket on the ground. Picking it up, she opened the heart and inside was a picture of him, smiling, with a paintbrush soaked in all different colors in his hand. She grasped the necklace tight in her hand, and grinned up at the painted heart on the tree...

on Aug. 11 2011 at 9:41 am
Delictious GOLD, Lubbock, Texas

Thank you so much! 
And no, I don't actually no a place like that(: It was just an imaginary place I thought of! (Maybe it's real somewhere, I just don't know it yet)

on Aug. 7 2011 at 4:48 pm
Tongue_Blep PLATINUM, ????, Ohio
this piece of ur work was brilant and beautiful! i've wrote one like this though it is poetry i write mostly novels and articles. But very good job! It was emtional and beautiful! :) but i couldn't help but being curious. . . do u know a place like that? in ur story? because the discription u put in it was amazing! :)(:

on Aug. 2 2011 at 3:25 pm
Delictious GOLD, Lubbock, Texas

Thanks! I tried to have it have a little more meaning than most of the other pieces I tend to write, which are more thriller/horror types(: 

on Aug. 2 2011 at 3:24 pm
Delictious GOLD, Lubbock, Texas

Thank you! That made me happy, I'm glad it wasn't boring(:

on Aug. 2 2011 at 1:33 am
white_chocolate97 BRONZE, Singapore, Other

Shoot for the moon, even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

This was so good! I really liked the message underneath it. Also there were a couple of grammatical errors but other than that, great job!!

on Jul. 31 2011 at 1:53 pm
born2bewriting BRONZE, Webster, New York

"The sky's the limit!"

wow great job! i was impressed. not too many people can write something like this without the reader getting bored. good job!

on Jul. 30 2011 at 11:31 pm
Delictious GOLD, Lubbock, Texas

Thank you so much!(: This means a lot!

on Jul. 30 2011 at 7:22 pm
DaylightDarkness SILVER, Littleton, Colorado

Everyone's crazy. You know why? We all want to be normal. Well, we cant define normal, and, the people you can point at and say, well isn't he/she normal are rare. Doesnt that kind of defeat the pupose of normal? -My Friend

that was simply amazing. I agree with Carrie as far as dialogue goes. Well written- cant wait to read more of your stuff.

on Jul. 23 2011 at 10:02 am
Delictious GOLD, Lubbock, Texas

Thanks for the advice!

on Jul. 22 2011 at 7:23 pm
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." --Douglas Adams

"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." --Marcus Aurelius

Wow, this was beautiful!  Even if it was a little cliche.  Working on your dialogue would make this piece nearly perfect.  You also should put your dialogue on a separate line.  Anyway, good job!

on Jul. 20 2011 at 9:34 pm
Delictious GOLD, Lubbock, Texas

Thankk you so much!(:

on Jul. 18 2011 at 10:13 pm
whitstar27 GOLD, Edison, New Jersey

when life gives you lemons, make grape juice. Then step back and let the world wonder how you did it
and
when life gives you lemon, throw them back at life

This piece shows your skill as a writer. I really liked how it was descriptive and how it coonveyed the message.

on Jul. 16 2011 at 9:13 pm
Delictious GOLD, Lubbock, Texas

Thank you so much! And yes, I'm trying to work on my dialogue, make it more realistic. Thanks for the advice!

tealbird said...
on Jul. 16 2011 at 6:08 pm
This was a great story with what I thought was a beautiful underlying message. Wonderfully written, but the only thing I could see was that the dialogue appeared a little distant from the description. You could tie in the character's feelings with the spoken parts-that might help. All in all, it was amazing...don't ever stop writing!

on Jul. 15 2011 at 10:41 pm
Delictious GOLD, Lubbock, Texas

Thank you! :D AND I will, as should you!

on Jul. 15 2011 at 8:45 pm
Garnet77 PLATINUM, Sinagpore, Other

"Everything's a triangle." ~ My mother

"Write what you love, write what you care about, because sometimes, it's the easiest way to be heard."

I only say it because it's true!!! Keep writing :)

on Jul. 15 2011 at 8:22 pm
Delictious GOLD, Lubbock, Texas

Thank you! All your comments have been so nice and given me new inspiration! And as I've said before, maybe I should let someone else take a look... because I know what it's supposed to be so I must just glance over them when I read(:

Thank you for saying my stories have background! I have a great imagination, and really want to write something unique for people to learn from and make them think!

on Jul. 15 2011 at 8:02 pm
Garnet77 PLATINUM, Sinagpore, Other

"Everything's a triangle." ~ My mother

This is beautiful. There may have been a few mistakes, but I kind of glazed over them because I was keen on finishing the story. It's amazing. I love the thoughts behind all your stories, and this one has a great meaning to it. I think you do really well with these kinds of stories, and my only advice would be to perfect some of the grammatical errors before publishing. :)