Betrayed

Kara screamed, running down the dark corridor at top speed. Lightening struck the outside window, willing her to keep moving. The grandfather clock chimed, only causing her to increase her speed. She had to keep going, she had to get away…
The hallway seemed to be closing in on her, all the walls inching closer and closer. Lights flickered; hot tears filled her eyes, blurring her vision as she dashed down the darkening passage. Glancing in the mirror, a face of true horror starred out at her. White face, scars running down the entire left side, with dark, dilated black eyes staring into her soul.
Hitting the living room, she spun around, searching frantically for her cell phone. Finally locating the technology, she quickly called her boyfriend. Crying to him, she begged him to come right away. “It’s here,” she wheezed, “it’s coming for me.” Replying he was on his way, mid-sentence, he was cut off.
Throwing the phone away, she yelled, her voice shrill and high-pitched. Branches tapped against the dark windows, making the hairs at the nape of her neck stand on end. He was coming, she knew he was, and then everything would be fine, just like it was last time.
Headlights flickered through the window, distorted from the whipping branches of the weeping willows outside. Wind burst through them, causing a frenzy of thrashing leaves. The door burst open, causing Kara to cry out again. She knew she was safe, but still, it was here, waiting for her.
The lights shut of completely, and the grandfather clocks slow, steady ticking came to an abrupt halt. Windows shattered as the rain increased in power, pounding into the pavement outside. Pictures hanging on the wall crashed to the ground with a sickening smack that reminded Kara of the snapping of small, fragile bones.
She ran to her boyfriend, and clung to him. Amazed by his speed of getting there, she held him close to her, crying onto his broad shoulder. He would help her, save her from the bad thing that wanted to hurt her. She had seen him do it before, he would do it again, tonight.
Grabbing her hand, he looked into her eyes thoughtfully, and whispered, “I’m here. No need to worry anymore, Kara.” The soft touch of his reassuring breath murmuring in her ear made all the worries melt away, until the vase cracked.
Splitting from the force of the blow, glass from the antique vase flew around them. Cutting parts of her arm, Kara ignored the stinging as she anxiously watched her boyfriend walk down the pitch black passageway.
Following timidly, Kara plodded her way up the corridor in complete fear. If he didn’t help, they would both die there. The thing would cut them to pieces; killing them slowly to make sure they felt as much pain as possible just to torture them more. At least they would be dying together, Kara considered.
Stopping in the middle of her bedroom, he looked at her with complete love. She knew this was it, and they were meant to be her together. While watching him, the door suddenly banged shut behind them. Kara ran to it, trying to get the heavy wooden door open. Only she couldn’t, it was locked.
Turning to him in fear, Kara’s eyes danced with complete sorrow. This is it, she thought, this is how I will die, this is how he will die. But as she gazed into his eyes, they suddenly became cold, the pupil dilating with increasing speed, the icy blue color of his eyes turning black in a second.
Then, his skin began falling away from his face like withered leaves being blown from their home branches in fall. Flecks fell to the floor, revealing pale white skin underneath, scars on only the left side of his face.
Kara gasped, she knew this face. It was that thing, that thing wanting to hurt her, but why had it just appeared in the place of her boyfriends face? It made no sense, he had not wanted to hurt her; he had come to save her.
Closing in on her, he smirked as he watched to horror cross her beautiful face. Licking his lips, he dreamed about the kill, how wondrous it would be. “Goodbye Kara,” he breathed his voice hard with no feeling …

musicispassion said...
great suspense i liked it parts of it reminded me of paranormal activity though one other thing u wrote" meant to be her together" her should be here other than that great work keep writing :P

Delictious replied...
Aug. 16, 2011 at 9:33 am
Thank you! I've never seen that movie so I wouldn't know(: Haha!
Oh! And thank you for the corrections. Things like that I always overlook, because you know what it's supposed to say!

DaylightDarkness said...
you really like suspense and horror dont you? lol- Anyway, very nice. I sorta saw the ending coming, but other than that, great job!

Delictious replied...
Why yes... I do(: I also like other things as well, those are just my fav :D

Yeahh, maybe you're just tuned in to that sort of thing(:

Delictious replied...
But thank you!

Kailey4 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 22, 2011 at 11:23 am
Thats very well written and I hope that you will write more!!

Delictious replied...
Thank you so much! :D

whitstar27 said...
Nice! I'd love to see what's happening next

Delictious replied...
Thanks! I guess a lot of people do! :D

writeamongthestars said...
What happens next?? Wow, this is really good. :D

Delictious replied...
Jul. 17, 2011 at 10:08 am
Thankk you! If you want, you can look at some of my other stuff(:
And since some people seem they wantto know what happens next, I might have to write a sequel:D 

billgamesh11 replied...
Jul. 22, 2011 at 8:05 am
Yes! Please do!!! And I really liked this article, but I am confused... Is the bad thing her boyfriend or did it just disguise itself like her boyfriend? But still, the skin falling away from his face was a really creative event! Can't wait for the sequel!!!:):):);)

Delictious replied...
Jul. 22, 2011 at 10:54 am
It was here boyfriend all along, and thanks! :D

Megan.J.B said...
Jul. 16, 2011 at 9:22 am
Very well done :). I found quite a few puzzling grammatical errors, but you can't really change that now anyways, so no point in dwelling :). But what I really wanted to point out is your fantastic use of suspense, that's a very special gift in writing and one that I can see you possess! Well done.

Delictious replied...
Thank you so much! I'm glad my piece was suspenseful! :D

Garnet77 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Are you going to continue this??? Because I would totally love to see what happens next!!! This is really good. I spotted a few mistakes, like in the sixth paragraph (I think), where you wrote "The lights shut of completely"--maybe you missed the extra "f" for "off". And there were one or two others, but I can't find them now. Other than that, your description is good, and the plot is very engaging. Keep going. You're leaving me in suspense! 

Delictious replied...
Thank you! And I'm not a very good proofreader... I really should have someone do that for me(: Thanks for pointing it out! I never thought too continue, but maybe I should go back and take a look(: