Cooking in Heat | Teen Ink

Cooking in Heat

By TaylorMarie24 GOLD, Long Beach, California
TaylorMarie24 GOLD, Long Beach, California

Fear knocked at the door. Faith answered. no one was there:)

Quickly throwing the uncooked dish into the hot oven, I can’t help but look around every time I think hear a creek or crack. Picking up the bloody knife I rinse it under the sink and throw it in the dishwasher.
‘The cops will be here any second now…’ I think to myself and start cleaning the counters.
10 minutes before I hear my husband’s the keys at the door, “hey sweetie” he greets as if nothing is wrong. I would kill him to if I had room in my oven for seconds.
“Hello” I say calmly, but my eyes say otherwise.
“Is something wrong?” he asks looking confused. I walk past him, no kiss no hug, and take my seat on the black leather couch.
“You tell me” I say with attitude now looking directly into his dark eyes. He stands there trying to figure it out and looking at me like I’m the crazy one…yea right.
“She stopped by looking for you today” I finallyy tell him and see his facefinallyy turn in undestandingg. He doesn’t say a word, I wouldn’t either if I was him, but I continue, “I know you’ve been cheating on me” I say sounding calm again which I can tell sends chills down his spine as he continues to stand there.
“I…” he starts but I cut him off before he even says another letter.
“I killed her” I confess walking by him back to the kitchen and pulling the large knife out of the washer. I serenely walk back over to him, standing an arms length away and twirling the knife in my hand. He looks downs at the knife and I can see that he can’t move. “I’m not going to jail” I tell him. The timer goes off on the oven, stunning him, “your girlfriends ready” I say and plunge the knife into my heart.

What inspired me to write this piece is the short story "Lamb to the Slaughter" by Roald Dahl i really enjoyed the intensity of the story and hope you enjoy my version.

MyConstRuctd_IdentiTy SILVER, Chardon, Ohio

"One heartbeat."

"Our scars remind us of where we've been; they don't dictate where we're going."
-SSA David Rossi, Criminal Minds

Wow. Now, let's see, if I ever got married and found my partner cheating on me, I don't think that that's quite the approach I would take. O.o Buuut, then again, we all have our own ways, don't we? All in all, I liked the whole idea of it, the story line, the plot. Very cool, indeed. Kind of morbid, though, maybe not something I myself would write, but nice job, anyway. Very... creative. :)

Bresha said...
Creepy....who would have known :0  I'll buy a hard copy! 

flyingpinkgiraffes, Chardon, Ohio
wow.  that was so short and yet it was still creepy and intense.  that takes skill.  

valslaw said...
on Jun. 30 2011 at 2:39 am
Great story. The ending was a complete suprise!

taysher said...
i love this story!  The ending goes back to Alfred Hitchcok times...... I love it!