Cooking in Heat | Teen Ink

Cooking in Heat

June 11, 2011
By TaylorMarie24 GOLD, Long Beach, California
TaylorMarie24 GOLD, Long Beach, California
12 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
Fear knocked at the door. Faith answered. no one was there:)


Quickly throwing the uncooked dish into the hot oven, I can’t help but look around every time I think hear a creek or crack. Picking up the bloody knife I rinse it under the sink and throw it in the dishwasher.
‘The cops will be here any second now…’ I think to myself and start cleaning the counters.
10 minutes before I hear my husband’s the keys at the door, “hey sweetie” he greets as if nothing is wrong. I would kill him to if I had room in my oven for seconds.
“Hello” I say calmly, but my eyes say otherwise.
“Is something wrong?” he asks looking confused. I walk past him, no kiss no hug, and take my seat on the black leather couch.
“You tell me” I say with attitude now looking directly into his dark eyes. He stands there trying to figure it out and looking at me like I’m the crazy one…yea right.
“She stopped by looking for you today” I finallyy tell him and see his facefinallyy turn in undestandingg. He doesn’t say a word, I wouldn’t either if I was him, but I continue, “I know you’ve been cheating on me” I say sounding calm again which I can tell sends chills down his spine as he continues to stand there.
“I…” he starts but I cut him off before he even says another letter.
“I killed her” I confess walking by him back to the kitchen and pulling the large knife out of the washer. I serenely walk back over to him, standing an arms length away and twirling the knife in my hand. He looks downs at the knife and I can see that he can’t move. “I’m not going to jail” I tell him. The timer goes off on the oven, stunning him, “your girlfriends ready” I say and plunge the knife into my heart.


The author's comments:
What inspired me to write this piece is the short story "Lamb to the Slaughter" by Roald Dahl i really enjoyed the intensity of the story and hope you enjoy my version.