Cut Short | Teen Ink

Cut Short

By Gigi Raskin BRONZE, New York, New York
Gigi Raskin BRONZE, New York, New York

As the million little waves entered my body I could feel my heart begin to pound faster. The shock started off bearable, but once they got angry due to my delayed response, it increased and I could practically feel my blood begin to boil. In that very moment when I realized that this would be last time I had to suffer, a flashback crossed my mind…

It was the day that I had been captured—a clear painting in my head. Every detail distinctly played out. The sun was shining, burning my skin—a normal day in sunny Florida. As I walked down to the basement, I heard a knock on the door. Though I was expecting no one, I went to open it. Little did I know this would be my last time opening my own door, feeling the sun on my skin, and my last day of freedom.

I thought about my family then. What did my mother and father think? My brother and sister? My friends? What did Emily imagine had happened? We had been dating for the past three years. I couldn’t bear the thought that she would find someone else. The very thought made me cringe. But for this moment I could only think of myself. I suddenly dawned back on my childhood memories. Playing soccer on our pavement driveway, the feel of actual ground on my feet—how long had it been since I had walked outside? I could almost smell my moms cooking in the air. Her apple pie sitting on the window to cool, calling my name. But then—it was all over.

I came back to reality and was faced with the facts of life. I was about to be killed, whether I liked it or not. And as you can tell, I was not planning on dying today. “ You get one more chance to tell me the truth,” I could taste the spit of the man in the army suit. I only looked up at his eyes. The word no splattered across my face. With that he pushed the button on and within seconds I could feel the
million little waves re-enter my body. My heart quickly increased in speed until it stopped. I don’t know when, I don’t know why, but on that day my life was cut short. I guess I’ll never know why my life was intended to end, but that’s just life I guess.

This is a mix of a vignette/ story