Never Land | Teen Ink

Never Land

By Courtney Gardner BRONZE, Blue Point, New York
Courtney Gardner BRONZE, Blue Point, New York

It was a cold, rainy night. The sky lit up with lightning followed by a giant boom of thunder. The Never land Amusement Park sign swayed in the howling wind. The “N” on the sign must have been swept away in one of the storms, which were common in that part of town. Yellow police tape lined the park’s perimeter, in most places it was completely blown away.

A police officer and a little girl, drenched from the storm, entered the park. The officer was sent to the park because of weird happenings there. For the past month, nearby residents saw the abandoned park come to life in the middle of night and then a few minutes later become dark once again. The little girl turned to the officer.

“Daddy, I want to go home… I’m scared,” she whispered.

“This place creeps me out too, but we’ll be out of here in a little bit. Daddy just has to do his job,” he said.

As they walked into the strange park a strong wind blew, making them stagger backward. The officer grasped the little girl’s hand and sat her down on a bench.

“Stay here, Ina O’cence,” he said. “I’ll be back in ten minutes, okay?”

“Alright,” she said. He kissed her on the forehead and left. Suddenly it began to rain harder. The little girl shivered. Lightning eliminated the park and she could finally see what was around her. To her left was a rundown food stand, it’s doors and windows were boarded up with rotting pieces of wood. To the right once stood a sinister mirror house, but all that was left was shattered glass.

All of a sudden thunder clapped and the park went dim again. She heard footsteps coming from the distance. Her heart skipped a beat. Was it her father?

“Daddy,” she called out. Lightning once again filled the space. She was terrified.

He had on a clown costume, the round nose, crazy hair, big shoes, except it looked as if all the color had been drained out of him. But on his hands, his diabolical hands, was crimson blood. He began to smile, except he didn’t have teeth, just black gums.

“Boo,” he said. She began to shriek. The clown only laughed and then began to scream louder than the little girl, inflicting terror into the dark night. After some time she stopped. He chuckled again.

“Where is my Dad,” she asked, her voice shaking.

“Oh, where is my Daddy, where is he,” he mocked her. “Names Scar, Scar the Clown. Your Daddy went on a…vacation. You wont see him for a while,”

The little girl looked at the clown’s hands. Blood. Was it the blood of her father? “No,” she thought. Her cries pierced the night.

“Smart little girl,” he said with a smirk. “I thought it take you a little longer to figure it out, but you know kids these days. Just too smart for their own good.”

He grasped the little girl, getting her white dress stained in blood. Before she knew it, she was sitting on a black carousel horse. The crazy clowns laughter filled the air. The black horse was the only one in the circle. Its head was missing and so was one of his front legs, which must have been up in mid gallop. Hopeless music began to play. It was stretched out and made every note sound like it was mourning. The horse started to revolve in reverse. Tears stained her cheeks. Her last scream vibrated along with the laughter of the clown. She was dead.

About a week later her body would be found grasping a black carousel horse. Her last moments of terror still appeared on her face. Her father was still missing.

Catlady108 said...
Catlady108, Chelsea, Michigan

"I still believe in spite of everything, that people are truly good at heart"
- Anne Frank

Wonderful! You had me on the edge of my seat throughout the whole story. Are you going to write more tales about Scar? If so, I'd love to read them!