The Sound | Teen Ink

The Sound

An ear-shattering low noise boomed into my ears. Coming from more than one source, it got closer. I ran for shelter starting to panic, only to find that I could not get away from the sound. The sound, still too audible, got closer. I started to panic and I froze in position.

“What’s going on?” I asked.

“I have no idea, but I’m gettin’ outta here,” said my friend, Chuck.

“Too bad there’s no way I can get out.”

“Sorry about that. You know I would get you out if I could,” he said.

“I know, Chuck. Thanks, but you better get out of here before it’s too late.”

Chuck scurried out of there like there was no tomorrow, of course, for all we knew there probably wasn't one. My joints were still frozen and I could not move a muscle. I felt as if I had been glued in position.

“Stupid joints!” I thought to myself. “Why don’t you move?”

I would have slapped myself if I could have moved, but my body would not allow it. Trying to comfort myself, I told myself everything would be fine, although I knew it was a big lie.

“Why of all things on earth does this happen to me?” I demanded aloud.

I was hiding and I was frozen, so I couldn’t see how close the sources of the sound were. I had to judge with my hearing and I knew they were getting closer. Closer. CLOSER. Just when I thought I could not bear it for one more minute, a hand reached into my cage and petted me in the spot behind the ears where I like to be scratched. A voice said:

“It’s alright, bunny. It was just the landscapers blowing the leaves off the lawn.”

This was written as a project for a suspense story assignment in my Writing class.