Work Will kill you | Teen Ink

Work Will kill you

May 1, 2011
By Anonymous

It was a beautiful Friday morning as Steve walked up to the front of Robinson real-estate, wishing that it wasn’t a Friday. Friday was his least favorite day of the week. Steve yanked on the door but it wouldn’t budge. “Locked again? It’s five thirty, why are the doors locked?” he muttered to himself, as he reached into his pocket and pulled out a key. The custodians gave him a key because he would come to work before they even got there.
Mildred strolled into the office with a smile on her face that would light up a room. As she sat down at her desk, a husky man with a giant cup of coffee walked by, saying, “Wow, Mildred, you’re here early.” Without even looking up she knew who it was.
“Hey, Steve,” she replied. Steve was always one of the first people at the office, and one of the last to leave.
“I’m only working a half day because me and my family are leaving to go to Florida later today” she exclaimed.

“Oh, that’s great, Mildred,” Steve answered as he walked back to his office.

Throughout the morning, Mildred constantly stared at the clock, waiting for it to be noon. She was walking to her boss’s office, when she passed another one of her coworkers, Patrick O’Neil as he was exiting an office.

“Hey, Patrick, what are you doing in Steve’s office?”.

Patrick jumped. “Oh my, Mildred, you scared me. I was just putting the Gates’ project on his desk.”

“Oh, I’m sorry; I knew that you wanted that project.” she said.
“Yeah, what are you going to do though” he joked as he scurried away.
“Yeah, what are you going to do?” She repeated to herself.
Mildred was back at her desk after telling Mr. Robinson that she was going to be leaving. While she was walking out of the office her her office phone rang; sighing and walking back to the phone she picked up the phone “Robinson’s Real-Estate, this is Mildred speaking, who is this?” she grumbled.
“Hey, Mildred, it’s Steve. I forgot the Jones’s project in my office. Could you please go into my office and bring it to me?”
“Yep, it’s my job” she replied.
“It’s in the top right drawer” replied Steve. “Thanks. You Mildred you are a life saver”
She went into his office, opened the drawer, and then heard a tick.





*




*




*
Steve was waiting for Mildred when his ears ached from a loud boom, his knees started to buckle as the ground began to shake, and then there were screams. Water drizzled on them for the sprinklers. While everyone rushed out of the building, he ran into one of his closest friends.
“Hey, are you alright Pat?”
“Yeah, I think so, How about you?”
“Yeah, I think I’m fine. Do you know what happened?”

Pat looked at Steve for a moment, and then replied “No, I was just filling up my cup of coffee when I felt the ground start to shake and I saw a fire start on our floor, so I sprinted down the stairs right behind Brian. What happened with you?” Pat asked
“I was in the meeting with the Jones’s. Showing them my idea for there house when everything started to shake and the sprinklers went off.”
“Well I am glad that you are ok Steve”
“Yea, I’m glad you’re safe too.” Steve responded as he walked over to the Jones’s trying to calm them down.
“How did that not work? I thought for sure that would get him” Pat mumbled to himself as he sped to his car and left.





*




*




*

Steve got home late that night. Right as he open his door into his apartment he heard the phone rang. He hesitated a second before going to pick up the phone.

“Hello?” squeaked Steve.

“Hey, Steve, it’s John. I was just wondering how you’re feeling.”

“I’m doing ok, Mr. Robinson. I’m just kind of in shock, you know.”

“Yep, I understand what you mean, we are all in shock. I just called to check up on you. I also wanted to let you know that we will not have work until next Monday, due to repairs to the building. So, enjoy your time off, relax, and try not to stress yourself out. I will see you later.”

“See you then, Mr. Robinson,” Steve said while going into his bedroom. He turned on the T.V. to try to take his mind off his day.

The next morning Steve awoke to the ring of his phone. Steve decided to let the call go to voicemail. “Hello, this is Captain Wilson from the San Francisco city police and we need you to come down to the Station so we can talk about what happened yesterday at the office. So, just give me a call back at 632-436-6035 or come down to the station. Hope to hear from you soon”.

When Steve came into the police station he was surprised to see many of his fellow workers there. Steve sat down next to Suzanna and almost immediately after sitting he was taken to Mr. Wilson’s office. When he got into the office, he saw a rather large man behind a desk.

“Hello Steve, I am Captain Wilson. How are you today?”

“I’m doing alright I guess.”

“You know why I called you down here. Can you tell me what happened yesterday at the office?”

“I really don’t know that much. I was in a meeting with some of my clients and the building started to shake and the fire alarm went off so we left the building.”

“Well, I have some information that I think you need to know. Some of our top investigators went to check out the scene yesterday and what happened was caused by a bomb.

“Holy Shit!”

“Yes the bomb was apparently set of in your office!”

“What????? How?” Steve yelled.

“I have no idea but we’re going to get to the bottom of this. If you have any other things you remember, you can call me or come back to the station. Unfortunately I have many other things to do, so I must ask you to leave.”









*




*






*

While Steve’s week off, he thought constantly about what the Captain had said to him about the bomb. Why would someone try to kill him? Why would they try to kill him with a bomb? Why wouldn’t they just blow up the whole building? He also wondered how someone could get into his office in between the time he was in his office and the time that Mildred went into his office. Steve came to the conclusion that someone from his work was trying to kill him, but who was the big question.






*





*




*

It was a week since the incident at work, and Steve wanted to go out and do something, so he decided to ask Pat to have dinner with him, and catch up on there nice little vacation. When they got there, they chatted for a while until they got down to what happened last week. “So, were you called down to the station?” Steve asked

“Yea, I just told them what I told you before. Did you find out what it was?”

“Yep, I heard it was a bomb and it was in my office!”

“Holy s*** that is scary man.” Pat replied

“Yea, that’s what I said, but who do you think would do it?” Steve asked “Because it has to be someone from the office. How else could they have gotten into my office between the time that I was in there and that Mildred was in there?”

“I don’t know, maybe that Janitor Greg, It seems like he dispises you. Always making him get to work early”

“Yea, I don’t know man.”



*


*


*

That night Steve thought about what Pat said a lot. He figured that it was Greg. He always didn’t like that Steve got into work two hours early every day, which made him have to get there early or give him an extra set of keys. Also Janitors have access to every room so Greg could have easily placed the bomb there.



*


*


*

It was the first day of work since the accident and Steve was more nervous than ever. All he could think about was who was trying to kill him. Steve walked into the building and everyone was talking about the new part of the building. The day went by and Steve was extremely paranoid and was constantly looking around for Greg. When he saw him he would give a stare that made Steve feel uneasy. After work he went out to eat with his friend, Brian. Brian is his boss, and Brian and John Robinson are the CEO’s of the company. When they were sitting there, they talked about what they’d done over the break. Steve asked Brian about last Friday.

“Yeah, I was in a meeting with John Robinson when the bomb blew so then I evacuated the building with him.”

“But, Pat said that you were in front of him when he was leaving the building.”

“I wasn’t in front of Pat. He wasn’t even working that day.”

“Yeah, but I saw him there. He came out the building after the bomb went off.”

“That is very strange.”

“Well, I do remember he came in for a little to talk to John and me about the Gates project. He really wanted that Project, but since you came to the Company he really hasn’t done that much. I think he is kinda jealous of you.”

Steve went home that night more nervous now than ever. He didn’t know who to trust, one of his best friends or his boss. He knew that he needed to find out who it was and fast before something else happened. When Steve went home, he locked all of his doors, and turned on his alarm system. That night he couldn’t sleep. So he sat in his rocking chair in the corner of his bedroom and played with his Swiss army knife all night. He always carried it around with him.






*




*





*


Steve woke up in the rocking chair to the sound of his alarm clock. It was an unusually rainy morning, and as Steve was on his way to work, he was wondering how he could prove that it was Pat that put the bomb in his office. When Steve got into his office, he sat there all day wondering what to do. As he went to get some more coffee, he noticed that Pat wasn’t in his office. Steve thought it was the perfect time to go and snoop around Pat’s office to see if it was him. Steve was searching everywhere for something but nothing turned up. While he was walking out of the office, he smacked the wall in disgust. All of a sudden, one of Pat’s paintings on the wall fell down. Attached to the back was a bright red folder. As he looked through it, Steve came upon a page that would put Pat away forever. Steve rushed out of Pat’s office and went to his car. While he was doing that, he was calling the Captain to let him know what he’d found. The Captain told him to go to his car and he would meet him there. Steve was in the parking structure next to his work because he gave away his parking spot to customers of Robinson’s real-estate.





*






*






*

Pat was going back to his office after he went to get some lunch. While he was coming back, he passed Steve who had given him a very strange look. He noticed a red folder in his hand. When Pat got back to his office, he saw that his painting was on the ground and the folder was gone. He started to search for it, wondering if he had misplaced it when he remembered that Steve had a red folder. “He has my folder,” Pat bellowed. Grabbing the pistol that was hidden in his flower pot, Pat chased after Steve.






*





*







*

Greg was cleaning the main lobby when he saw Steve run out of the building with a red folder. He figured that it was nothing, but when he saw Pat chase after him, he thought something fishy was going on. While this all was happening, Greg remembered seeing Pat going everywhere with the same folder that was Steve’s hand.



*



*



*

Steve was walking to his car when, all of a sudden, he feels this sharp burning pain in the back of his leg. Then he heard a loud echoing boom. As Steve smashed to the ground, he turned his head to see what happened. Pat was 100 feet away. Steve tried to crawl away, but Pat caught up to him. “Why are you doing this, Pat?” cried Steve.

“Because you are ruining my life. I was doing so well in the company and then you came along.”

“You don’t need to do this, Pat. We can fix this,” said a deep voice from behind him.

Pat quickly span around, and to his surprise, Brian was there. Pat chuckled “you stay out of this Brian, this doesn’t concern you.”

“Put down the gun, Pat,” Brian replied. All of a sudden there was another loud boom and Brian collapsed to the cement.

Pat switched his attention back to Steve. As he did this Steve reached into his back pocket and pulled out his knife. The knife flew through the air, and Pat alertly side stepped it. Pat laughed while he raised his hand and pointed the gun at Steve. Steve laid there hoping for a miracle. Then there was another loud bang as Pat fell to the ground. Behind Pat was Greg holding a revolver in his hands. “You alright there, Steve?”