He Went Out with His Boots On (Ch.1) This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.

By , Temecula, CA
It’s funny what our minds choose to hold onto, and choose to forget. Phone numbers, schoolwork, dates, texts, times; all have slipped through my mind’s web without sticking, as if impervious to my mental adhesive. But I remember everything about March 17th, 2011. It can be argued that the trauma I underwent sharpened some inner focus, and that I went back and looked over the day that I would carry with me for the rest of my life. But I would like to think that I woke up that day knowing that something was about to change, something irreversible, something that would define me forever after. For better or worse, March 17th was the day I met Lars Odekin.

The day was gray and misty, the sun yet to grip the horizon and pull itself into the sky. I made my way to 1st period as the bell rang. The mist gently caressed my cheek as I walked, the breeze knifing it open and making off with my heat. I shivered and hunched my shoulders up to shield my face. I jogged up the steps of the two-story building, turned right and opened the door to Mr. Leyander’s 1st period psychology class. Mr. Leyander’s classroom is a dull tan color; the walls covered with posters intended to motivate me at seven in the morning. Yeah, right. I took my seat in the middle of the room, symbolizing my apathy toward the class. It’s not in the back, which would show a total lack of interest, nor in the front which would show enthusiasm. Do an analysis on that, Leyander. As I was thinking of him, he happened to walk in; bow tie blazing, breathing like he was just coming out of a 10k. I silently crossed myself, and began praying like h*ll for some sort of divine intervention, anything to spare me from a lecture. It’s funny; life is full of miracles, but never the one you want when you need it. Suddenly the door swung open again, a gust of wind sweeping papers off of the desks. A man in black entered. He was wearing jeans and a jacket, but what I was most taken with about his wardrobe was the thick pair of combat boots he wore. I decided right then that is what I would call him: Boots. “Alright, listen up,” Boots said.
I couldn’t tell you why, given ten minutes or ten thousand years why I thought this was funny. I almost burst out laughing. But I didn’t; mostly because handguns are a lot less funny, and my would-be savior was clenching a Glock-19 in his right hand.

My train of thought is a runaway freighter.

Someone must have screamed behind me, because reality came crashing down around me like a tidal wave. “Shut up, every just shut up!” Boots screamed. More pearls, honestly, there aren’t any gunmen with tact anymore. Mr. Leyander made a move towards the phone, but he caught the corner of Boot’s eye, and he pressed the barrel of the gun to Leyander’s forehead. “No.” he said; nothing else, just “No.” Boots waved his piece like a maestro’s wand, motioning everyone to the far side of the room. We hurried to comply. It’s amazing what a little lump of metal will do to a teen’s attitude; maybe the faculty should start packing heat. Boots slowly backed towards the door, then swiftly turned and drew the blinds. I heard the sound of feet on concrete, people probably alerted by the screaming. Boots cracked the blinds and peeked out. He licked his lips, then took a step back and squeezed off three rounds through the window. The glass exploded, tiny shards of glass falling in a crystal precipitation. Voices outside shrieked, and a flurry of activity could be heard outside.
“Oh my God,” I whispered under my breath. Boots turned towards me, but there was no way he could have heard me. Our eyes met, and he winked.

milforce said...
This was really amazing. Honestly, I forgot I was reading this. You're writing style fits the story perfectly too. Awesome job!

Kvothe28 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Thank you so much

StrangeJade This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...

I normally don't care for this genre, but your writing style is quick and descriptive, and I actually really enjoyed this. :) Very intriguing.

(Although, TI editors, you qualify as paranoid for bleeping out the word "he.ll." Fear of a name only increases fear of the thing itself. J.K. Rowling, my friend.)

Oct. 18, 2011 at 8:27 am
Awesome. Thank you very much for commenting on it =)

KrissyKarnage This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Oct. 8, 2011 at 10:06 am
This is very captivating and stunning. It really draws the reader in with the description and I admire your writing style.

Thank you. =)

Unsent_Letters said...
Oct. 7, 2011 at 9:30 am
This is honestly one of the best pieces I've read on this site so far..it's great! I can't wait to read the rest

ButterflyKiss said...
Oh my gosh. This is really captivating! You have an interesting writing style and I love your description. :) 5/5!

Thank you so much, and thanks for commenting

ChocoMint said...
Great description!  I'm looking up chapter two right now!  <><

julian This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Wow! Your writign style is stunning,  captivating and beautifully composed. Not to mention suspenseful! I guess there's no choice but to read the second chapter!

introducingshelby said...
That's gotta be one of the best, most suspenseful, thriller stories I've ever read; and it's not even finished yet! I REALLY liked this. At first, I thought, "what could this story even be about? Another stupid love story?" Oh no, this is wondderful :D Keep writing, hon, I'm glad you told me to check this out.

JoPepper said...
You better tell me when chapter 2 comes out!!!!!!!!! Good job Keep writing!!!! :D

Haha cool, thanks fr commenting. Chapter two is in the novels section now if you wanna read it. Same title.

DaughterofEvil said...
I have to say....I already really like Boots. ^^ You're descriptive in your narration too, which is really nice! I look forward to the rest of your book!

Wow thank you so much!

Steph0804 said...
Sept. 26, 2011 at 3:04 am
THIS IS AWESOME! 5 stars! The descriptions are new and really creative, the storyline is gripping from the start! Love it!

Sept. 26, 2011 at 9:22 am
Awesome =) thank you for commenting on it.

Ailatan said...
Wow! This is seriously good! Are you planning on continuing? I'd definatly read if you do :D

Thank you so much for commenting. Ch.2 is posted in the novel section if you want to read it.