The Accident | Teen Ink

The Accident

By Douglas Linkenheimer BRONZE, Newtown, Pennsylvania
Douglas Linkenheimer BRONZE, Newtown, Pennsylvania

The rain slipped down the window as if it were a tear falling down the cheek of a broken man. An old man was sitting on a wheelchair drifting into a dream of when he was a younger man. He sat in a dark room, small but captivating enough to keep one person’s attention. On the wall were various newspapers and what stood in the middle of the room was a coffee table with an unfinished chess game. The light hit the table perfectly so it was illuminated in the quiet dark room. The door creaked open and the man swiveled his head to see the enter. The man was a lot taller than the man in the wheel chair; he looked about late fifties, maybe more, about the age as the man in the wheel chair. He held a case, covered in a dark gray cloak. “It’s the anniversary, isn’t it?” said the tall man.

“Yes, yes it is,” Replied the man sitting in the wheel chair, “What is that in your hand?”

“Oh nothing,” said the man “Just nothing…You mind if I run out to my car, I forgot something.”
The man didn’t reply as the other man left through the door. He watched the man go out to his car through the window. He drifted off into space and rembers the day that changed his life.

It is a beautiful day, a couple drives away from a church. Their family and friends cheer as they drive away. They are driving in a narrow lane. The bride looks at the groom and they both laugh playfully. The bride looks out the half-open window; a loud rumbling noise is heard from the distance as truck comes flying around the corner at a dangerous speed. The groom swerves to avoid it, the car tumbles off the road hitting tree after tree. Then all goes black. The groom awakes, in a daze and a horrible throbbing pain in his legs. He feels something heavy roll to the left side of his face he looked upon the horrible thing he saw before his eyes and let out a bellowing scream.

The man in the wheel chair came back into reality as he heard the door open one more time but

he did not care to turn around. That’s when he felt a strong stinging sensation in the back of his neck. “There we go,” cracked a dangerously insane voice, “No reason to be sad anymore, you’ll be back with my sister once more”. The taller man whipped of the cloak covering the case that held the held of the bride. Next to that beloved head he placed the head of the groom. “All will be fine. We are all back together again” said the tall man as he held the trophies of what made three lives and were now two deaths and man who had left long ago.