Freedom | Teen Ink

Freedom

BEEP! BEEP! BEEP! Get the hell out of here!! The voices were shouting at me. They were furious at me because I set off the alarms. Grab the girl and go! They were so loud I couldn’t hear the home alarms. That’s when I spotted her in her bed, sitting upright and screaming. She had a pink night gown on, long blonde hair glimmering in the little bit of light her night light gave off. The rest of her was covered in the darkness in the room. TAKE HER AND GO!!! They were so loud! I had to cover my ears as they rang with the echo of the voices. But I had to recover quickly and take her. The voices knew what they were doing. I took her under my arm and she bit me. “You b****!” I yelled at her. But then I heard someone trying to get into her bedroom door, so I jumped out the window just before her parents broke down the door. Good thing she was only five, or else she might have put up more of a fight.
…37 minutes later

“STOP CRYING!!” I yelled at her, she didn’t. We were in a building I found the other day, it was an old gas station, with water dripping from the cracks in the ceiling from the rain tonight. I had her tied in a chair. I don’t need her to run back to them. After all, that would defeat the purpose of me freeing her. Stop stalling and do what you know you have to do. The voices are right. I have to. “Do you know why I took you? It’s because I’m freeing you! You are too young to understand. I’ve seen you playing in the yard, so innocent, while your parents are not. They are one of them. They want to hurt us. Kill us. You will see that once this is over you will be much happier.” Walking toward her she cries more, especially when I pick up the knife. “I know you’re scared,” I tell her “but its ok now. Its ok” -slice- “You’re finally free.”

I wrote it for my creative writing class and the main character is schizophrenic