Just Blink | Teen Ink

Just Blink

By LauraMay DIAMOND, Argyle, New York
LauraMay DIAMOND, Argyle, New York

Be who you are. Don't be anything less.
Strength isn't just measured by how much pain you can take.

I look up, but all I see is shadows dancing, rejoicing. I didn't need my eyes or ears to know that I was seconds away from death. I could feel it. I could feel that cold piece of metal making its way towards me. To end me. All that's racing through my mind has nothing to do with my life, but of another's. One far more important than mine will ever be. To be honest, I thought of you. The sunlight in your hair, all those times we went to the beach. The most important one, is the way you feel. Your body, your lips. I remember our goodbye...

We were at the beach, wiggling our toes in the sand. My gaze was drawn to you, only you. I wanted to stay, but I knew I had to go. You gave me a pleading look, but you knew I had to leave. I couldn't stand to see the sadness in your eyes as I walked away for the last time. It broke my heart...

Even now, after I realized I would never see you alive again. I couldn't save you, I wasn't strong enough. So tell me, what do I have to live for, when everyone I've ever cared about, is gone? Do I even have to fear death anymore?

I know I shouldn't just go and waste my life, but really, how can I put up a fight? Life has lost it's meaning. "Find a new one then," a voice inside me says. Ironic, because it sounds just like you. "It is me," the voice said again. How can it be?

"Baby, you've got to listen to me. You can change this. You can change everything."

Change what? What do you mean? But all I got was silence. You were gone, just like on that day.

My heart longs for you again, waiting to be bound to yours forever. There are only seconds before my soul leaves this chest, but yet, I feel safe and secure.

I close my eyes, and when I open them again, I am surprised at what I see. I'm back at your place on the beach, lying in your arms. Was it really all a dream? If not, did I really just talk to my dead lover, who is no longer dead?

PJD17 SILVER said...
PJD17 SILVER, Belleville, Illinois

I do the best imatation of myself- Ben Folds

i thought your story was good  i would be interested in reading some of your other stories, if you have any posted   could you please take a look at and comment on some of my work?