The Interrogation | Teen Ink

The Interrogation

By tvboy311 BRONZE, Cleburne, Texas
tvboy311 BRONZE, Cleburne, Texas

I woke up in a chair. I don't know where I was. It was pitch dark all around me. My hands were tied. The only thing I heard was the dripping of water. Drip. Drip. Drip. It was driving me insane.

I don't know how long I sat there, it felt like hours. But how long had I already been here? Days? Weeks? What day was it? What month was it? So many unanswered questions. I must find the answers.

Eventually I heard men walking out in the hall. The door opened, and light shined on my face. I had to squint because even though it was dim, it was bright as the sun to me. Three men entered the room. One wearing a white suit, and the other two wearing black suits with shades. They flipped a switch and a light hanging from the ceiling turned on.

"Do you know your name?" The first man asked, he seemed like the leader.

"Brian s...s...s...Sturkins? I believe that's it. Where am...?" I started to ask.

"Shut up, you are not the one asking questions!" The leader snapped. "Would you like to know where you are?"

"Yes more than anything." I said in desperation.

"We are in a factory on the outskirts of a small village in Australia. You have been here for three days, five hours, and twenty-two minutes. I suspected you wanted to know that information as well." The leader told me with smug satisfaction.

I couldn't believe I had been here that long, or that far away. Last I remembered I was in my office at work getting ready to leave. My office is in Bismark, North Dakota, so Australia is a bit of a ways away.

"How did you get me here so quickly, and why did you bring me here?" I asked.

"I told you not to ask questions." The leader said with a hint of irritation.

The leader then gave one of the thugs a look. Thug one came over to me, and punched me square in the jaw. I felt a flare of intense pain. I saw spots for a second, then refocused my vision. My jaw felt broken, but I wasn't sure if it was.

"That was just a taste of what will happen to you if you do not comply with what I say." The leader grimly told me.

"Ok. Well tell me what you want." I told him through clenched teeth.

"My boss had me bring you here for two reasons; your side job, and a case you had about two months ago." The leader said in a mechanical, yet fearful way. He seemed to be a little wary about his boss.

"I don't know what you're talking about. I only have one job as a office worker." I said defensively.

"I know you're lying, we know all about you. You're a mercenary on the side. You take people out for money. You're single, never been married, and have no children. Every week you meet with a different prostitute, so that none of them ever learn anything about you, or see you again. Yes we know you Brian." The leader told me like he had rehearsed these lines over and over.

"I still say you have the wrong guy. I could never kill anyone." I tried explaining to them.

The leader gave thug two a look, and he came over to me. This guy was about ten times worse than thug one. He took out two things, knives, and salt. I had a sickening feeling in my stomach.

He brough the knife onto my arm, I could feel the cold metal. I shivered. He made the cut, and I flinched away. He made several more cuts. There was burning pain all down my arms, but I held my scream in. I didn't want to show weakness. Then he took the salt and poured it on the fresh cuts. I couldn't handle that pain. I screamed, and screamed.

"Mr. Sturkins are you willing to cooperate now? I can guarentee it will only get worse from here." The Leader told me with a look of pleasure on his face, like he wanted me to resist.

"I don't know anything! I already told you this. I'm not the man you're looking for!" I screamed and sobbed.

"Mr. Sturkins, why can't you just tell us the truth? We know you took my bosses daughter. She was your target that night. You went out as you usually did on Saturdays. To go get your jollies off. But that night you had a specific hooker in mind. We know you sweet talked her, and she got into your car. We know that because we watch her as we're told to. So we waited, and waited for her to come back, but she never did. Now since you were the last one to be seen with her, we checked out your file. Do you still disagree with who we claim you to be?" The leader said.

Now his story did sound perfect and all, very convincing. I however was not going to give in. I wasn't the man they were looking for. I was just Brian Sturkins, office worker at Microsoft. It's true I was single, but I didn't purchase the services of prostitutes, and I didn't kill people. I have no idea why these people thought that I was this man.

"I still don't know what you're talking about. I'm the wrong man, you've got it all wrong. Please let me go." I pleaded.

"Mr. Sturkins I really wish you had cooperated." The leader reached into his coat and pull out a small handgun. "I didn't want to have to kill you...yet."

"Please, please don't kill me, I swear I'm not the man you're looking for." I cried.

I heard footsteps coming down the hallways. They were in a hurry. Then another man in a black suit and shades came in.

He went over to the leader and whispered something in his ear. The leader had a look of shock. Then a look of, it looked like, remorse. I wonder what happened. The third man turned and left.

"It seems I should apologize Mr. Sturkins. You were telling the truth. You didn't kill my boss' daughter. We caught the man that really did." The leader told me with a little guilt.

"So I'm free to go?" I asked excited.

"I'm so very sorry, but we can't let you leave. You already know too much. You're a liability. It was nice talking to you Mr. Sturkins. Goodbye." The leader said with a grim expression.

"Nooooo.....!!!" I screamed.

I heard the first bullet as it hit my chest. Then I heard the gun cock again, and I knew the end was nigh. Then there was nothing.