the third floor bedroom | Teen Ink

the third floor bedroom

By rosesred112 BRONZE, Cleveland, Ohio
rosesred112 BRONZE, Cleveland, Ohio

The Kinkier the better

It all began when someone left the window open. I know what your thinking, what happened and who opened the window? Be patient and I'll tell you. In a small town called Talonsville, there was a house that nobody ever went into because they all feared what would happen to them if they did.

The house didn't have an address, because whoever built the house built it a few miles away from the town for privacy or something else nobody knew. The house had been there for awhile and so everyone believed it was haunted.

My name is Lois Baker and my father owns the bakery next to the diner. I will tell you the story of my death in a way that you can understand because I died in that house and now you will know the truth. The News Cast said I ran away but only because they didn't actually want to go into the house, but I suppose I should begin at the beginning.

It was a warm day In June and school had just let out the week before. I was in the fifth grade and I was bored. I had just finished reading The Wind In The Willows to my little brother Samuel. I had been reading it to him every day for the past two weeks, normally I just read a chapter a day but today I finished the last few so that I could go explore. Samuel, being seven, asked if he could come, but I knew that if I was going to go to the abandoned house, he better not come! I kissed him on the head before running out the door.

I had a bike so I decided I would get there faster if I rode the bike instead of walking. I hopped on the bike and rode up the dirt path into the woods. The woods were darker than usual, so I rode faster, so I wouldn't be in the woods after dark. The house looked scary, but I still opened the door and went inside. It was almost compulsive, like I couldn't stop myself from turning the rusty knob and opening the door. The door creaked and moaned as it slowly opened into what looked like a living room. The living room had a doorway that lead into another room but I was more intrigued by the spiral staircase covered in red carpet. The carpet looked new, like it had been placed there in anticipation for my arrival. I slowly walked toward the staircase, and headed up the stairs. When I got to the second floor, everything was the same as the lower level, except there was a hallway that led to the 6 rooms and at the end of the hall another staircase was there.

I didn't want to go up the stairs, but it was almost like I had to. So I walked up the steps, until I got to another long hallway with a single door at the end of it standing wide open. I walked toward the door so slowly that the old English floors didn't even creak as I made my way to where the door stood open. When I got to the door, I didn't go completely into the room I just looked around. There were normal bedroom objects in the room, however, as strange as it may sound, the bed was unmade and the dresser drawers were all pulled out. The dresser was full of clothes and the bed looked as if the sheets had been changed recently. Stranger than that, the window was standing wide open! I wondered why I even came to this house, but as I instinctively headed over to the window to shut it, I heard the door slam and lock from behind me and a frustrated voice say “I wouldn't close the window if I were you.” I slowly turned around and saw a girl about my age.

She had a beautiful face but it was as pale as a ghost and she had scars running down her face as if she had been cut. She looked at me and drifted towards me. “Who are you?” I whispered and watched as her face turned to horror and she glared at me and screamed. “DO NOT QUESTION ME, I WAS NOT SENT HERE TO HELP BUT TO WARN YOU, IF YOU DON'T LEAVE THIS HOUSE, HE WILL GET YOU LIKE HE GOT ME!!!”I was frightened but I couldn't move from the place I was standing let alone leave. It was like I was glued to the spot. “Who is he?” I asked my voice quavering, “And why can't I leave?”I was close to tears as she pointed to a picture hanging on the wall. I was sure the picture wasn't there before and when I took a closer look I could see two men, one looked about sixty the other looked twenty. The younger one had a golden haze around him so I sensed that the younger one was the man she was talking about, but when I turned back around she had disappeared. I had a sudden feeling that I needed to close the window. I knew the threat of it pulled at my gut. I couldn't grab on to anything, because everything in the room disappeared into the wall and I felt like I was being dragged across the room. I saw my hands reaching up to shut the window, but I couldn't fight the force that was taking over me. I wasn't strong enough. When the window pushed into the frame with a thud, I heard a ghostly chuckle behind me. “So I see you couldn't fight it. Good, I was beginning to think Melissa may have had an impact on you.” the man behind me said. He was the same man from the portrait and I wondered why he said Melissa with a grimace. I was scared as to what might happen to me and I wished that for one time this could be a dream that I would wake up from if I shut my eyes and counted to three, but when I closed my eyes and said 1-2- I didn't make it to 3. I never had the opportunity to open my eyes. The thing is, I knew I was dead before I saw my dead body laying limp on the bed and cuts on my face and arms as well as a stab into my heart. I never thought that a ghost could physically harm me and one can't, but he was different, he was a demon who killed to kill, but Melissa and I were girls who had dreams and that is why we passed on. If somebody had never opened that window, she would be more than a girl now she would be a young woman. She died 10 years before I did and yet we are still best friends and I believe that I couldn't of saved myself even if I tried.

Sometimes I still see my family going on with their lives as if I never existed, but Samuel never forgot, and I think someday, he is going to try and find my body in the house with the third floor bedroom and I'll be waiting when he does.

um i wrote this for school and i wanna get it published XD

rosesred112 BRONZE, Cleveland, Ohio

The Kinkier the better

Thank you:) i know this is a bit late lol

Valiant GOLD said...
Valiant GOLD, Richardson, Texas

"You look like a bloated, cross-eyed squid with a beard.... well, at least you hair looks right."
Me to my friend Heidi

You're second to the last paragraph was a bit too long; it made it really hard for me to focus on where I was. also your numbers should be written out like "one. two." instead of being in their numerical form. Other than those little things, it was an interesting read. :)

haha4579 GOLD said...
haha4579 GOLD, Westfield, Wisconsin

"It's a car, that runs on water!" - Hyde

I love how the story is all mysterious and keeps you reading! Most of the time I would stop but I couldn't! AMAZING!!!