Demon House | Teen Ink

Demon House

By Jayde_Marie_95 GOLD, Los Banos, California
Jayde_Marie_95 GOLD, Los Banos, California

As I entered the house, the door slammed shut behind me. I had to jump out of the way or else it would have closed on my leg. The house was dark, so I pulled out my flashlight and looked around. I was in the living room and I could make out the shapes of furniture under dusty white covers. There were also some old oak side tables with antique lamps on either end of the sofa.

All throughout the house there were creaky old floorboards, and the house itself seemed to groan with each step I took. I passed through the kitchen, which had a rancid smell coming from around the refrigerator area, so I avoided that. Then I went into the dining room. It had a musty smell, so I covered my nose and mouth and continued on. As I passed through I noticed the antique dining set, and on the table eight places were set for a dinner party that would never happen.

The story behind the house was that ten years ago, the couple who had lived here was going to have a dinner party. However, as the couple were about to start cooking the dinner, a dark cloud formed above the dining room table. It flew toward the couple, making them run in terror. Some say the couple never made it out, others say they just left everything they owned and moved on.

I didn’t really pay attention to the eerie feeling I had until I passed by the front door on my way upstairs. Then I started thinking to myself, How did that heavy door slam shut, all by itself? That’s when I saw the shadow.

At first I didn’t fully see it, just a glimpse out of the corner of my eye. I walked upstairs, and there I really saw it. It flew from one end of the hallway into the room on my right. I didn’t know what to do—I couldn’t run and I couldn’t scream. Finally I went into the room it disappeared in.

The shadow was floating about three feet in the air. If it had been standing on the ground it would have been about six feet tall. It was solid black with red eyes, and as soon as it saw me it slammed the door shut and I couldn’t get it open. Now the demon shadow had a hurricane of books, papers, pens and pencils, and other miscellaneous objects flying around it. I couldn’t get the door open and I couldn’t walk through the storm in front of me to get to the window. Just then, everything dropped to the floor, and the demon shadow focused its attention on me. It let out a loud, piercing screech and dove toward me. I ducked down and the shadow passed through the door, and out of the room.

As soon as it was out, the door opened and I got out of there as quick as humanly possible. In fear of the demon shadow coming back, I sprinted down the stairs, out the front door, and all the way home. Thinking back now, I can’t remember why I went there in the first place. Maybe it was to see if that couple had ever left, maybe we will never know…….

Another english assignment, this time written in spirit of Halloween. I tend to take my creative writing skills to higher levels than are expected.

on Jan. 4 2011 at 7:47 am
Thanks for the feedback, I will definitely take it into consideration on my next story!

on Jan. 3 2011 at 10:39 am
vampiresrock GOLD, Cornish, New Hampshire

When life gives you oranges, make grape juice and sit back and let the world wounder how the hell you just did that.

mmm...it was okay...you started and stopped a lot and didn't really explain much...keep going though. it's a great start!