Escape | Teen Ink

Escape

By Drea7 BRONZE, Las Cruces, New Mexico
Drea7 BRONZE, Las Cruces, New Mexico

“Daddy slow down!” Crash!

“Dad!” I wake up with a jump; everyone in my history class was staring at me.

“Did you have that dream again?”

“Unfortunately yes.” My friend Bailey and I walk to our cars relieved that school is over. I get home and throw my stuff on the floor in the living room.

“Katie, good you’re home I need to tell you something important. I got scared she said it like she was scared.

“What is it mom?”

“Your dad has escaped from jail; I want you staying at a friend’s house one that he’s never seen before. The police said that they are going to have a squad car stay at the house and an officer stay inside with us. Bad memories flashed into my head. I saw my dad yelling at me for ratting him to the police about beating us and drugs. For that he lost everything and hated me for it.

“I don’t know mom, I can’t leave you and Caleb alone.”

“We will be fine; he doesn’t know where we live. You’re the one who needs to be safe. I immediately called Bailey and told her everything. I packed cloths and things I would need. A police officer drove me over there and a police officer stayed with us.

“Bailey I’m scared, when they were taking him to jail he said he would come back for me.”

“Katie, I would tell you it’s going to be ok, but I don’t know if that would make you feel better. Just know I’m here for you.”

“Thanks.” We get ready for bed and lie down. I couldn’t get the thought out of my head of him coming and grabbing me from the bed.

“I’m coming to come back for you.” My dad glares at me while the police take him away. That memory plays over and over again in my head. I open my eyes and realize I’m still in Bailey’s house. I was relieved but I knew it still wasn’t safe. An officer was driving me home when all of a sudden a car rammed us. It felt like it happened in slow motion. I felt a searing pain and then everything went black. I woke up with a severe headache and searing pain in my left arm. I looked around me and I was in a basement. The door opened and footsteps came down the stairs. I felt myself tense up when my dad stood before me.

“Hello again, long time no see,” he said with an eerie smirk on his face. I just starred in silence.

“I told you I’d come back for you, he said his smirk widening.

“Is it so wrong that all I wanted to do is see my little girl?”

“Yeah it’s wrong when you ram me with a car.”

“I know I’m sorry about that but that police officer wouldn’t have let me taken you if I asked.”

“Did you ever think about maybe I don’t want to see you, huh?” He glared at me and walked out of the room. I knew I had to escape, I looked around the room and I found a black plastic comb, a rusty nail, a small stone, a bottle cap and a broom. I broke the bristles off the broom and was going to use it as a weapon. I was going to use the comb to open the door. I listened to see if I could hear anything. I slowly walked up the stairs with the broom stick. I got to the top and stuck the comb in the door I wiggled it as quietly as I could. I got the door open and saw the front door, I was going to make a run for it I ran towards the door but my dad grabbed me from the hair. He pulled me to the ground; I kicked the broom stick down the stairs hoping he wouldn’t notice. He grabbed my left arm which was my broken arm. I screamed in pain as he dragged me back down the stairs. I heard the phone ring and I could over hear him on the phone.

“Meet me at the dump in an hour, bring the shovels.” I tensed up and knew that I didn’t have much time. I got another idea; I put the rusty nail through the bottle cap and set it on the top stair. I had the small stone to throw at him when he opened the door. When he’d come in I’d throw the stone at him, he would step on the nail and hopefully fall down the stairs and I would smack him with the broom stick. This didn’t seem like the best plan but it had to work or id be dead.

The time came the door opened and I threw the stone at him. I hit him the neck. He got mad and came down the stairs. He stepped on the nail and screamed in pain. He rolled down the stairs; I smacked him with the broom stick as hard as I could aiming for his head. As I started to run up the stairs he grabbed my foot, I kicked him in the face till he let go. I ran out of the house running without looking back. I decided I was going to go to a house and call the police. I looked back to see if he was following me, he wasn’t so I ran and knocked on the door to a grey house. A teenage boy came to the door.

“I need to call the police, my dad is after me!”

“Ok sure go ahead,” he said confused. I ran inside and called the police, I told them everything. I knew my dad would go after the ones I loved I had to get to mom and Caleb. I was sure if he knew where to find me he knew where they were.

“I need to get to my house, can you drive me please my mom and brother are in danger!”

“I’ll get my keys.” We ran out to the car and sped away.

“Thank you so much.”

“No problem.” The car ride was quiet the rest of the way besides me giving him directions.
We got to my house and my dad’s truck was there. I ran toward the front door, but was stopped by a police man.

“He has my mom and brother!”

“Were going to get them out ok I need you to stay here.” I couldn’t just wait for that monster to do something to them. I snuck away and climbed a ladder to my bedroom; I used it to sneak in and out of my house. I opened my window and stepped into my room. I could hear my mom down stairs. I walked into the hallway and now I could see them. He had them tied up in the living room. He was looking outside from the kitchen window talking on the phone with an officer. I could quietly go down stairs, untie them and we could crawl to the front door. I started down the stairs and crawled to them. I untied them and whispered to crawl to the front door my brother went first, he made it to the door but my dad came in the room. Caleb ran outside to the policeman. My dad glared at me pointing the gun at me.

“Wrong move little girl,”
“Rick no please,” my mom started to say. My dad interrupted her and pointed the gun at her.
“Get out now!”
“No don’t do this please!” He walked to her and pulled her to the door.
“Get out now or she dies!” She went out the door and my dad shut it and locked it behind him.
“Alone at last, now I can give you what you deserved.”
“You think killing me is going to make anything better, killing me won’t get your job or your family back. Killing me will get you nowhere; you will rot in prison for the rest of your life!” He cocked the gun; he was about to shoot when the police shot him from behind. I saw him drop to the floor and police rushed inside and got me out of the house. My mother and Caleb ran to me giving me a hug. It felt like a weight was lifted off of me, I didn’t have to be afraid anymore. An ambulance came and took me to the hospital. I just had a broken arm and some scrapes and bruises. Bailey, my mom, Caleb and even the guy who drove me came to see me. I was surrounded by people I loved and I smiled at the fact that I was finally out of danger. I closed my eyes and slept peacefully for the first time in two years.