'They' Part 1 | Teen Ink

'They' Part 1

December 6, 2010
By celena_eliza24 BRONZE, Cleveland, Ohio
celena_eliza24 BRONZE, Cleveland, Ohio
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

My name is Chelszie and I'm dead, but not really. That's what I want everyone to think though. I lived in the small town of Oakfield in Wyoming, where nothing ever happened. That is, until this past September. I don't think They meant any harm. But who am I to say this. I, the naive child, who is consequently now dead.

It was very early in the morning when it happened; my death I mean. I'm not fond of dwelling in the past so I'll keep this brief. They came into my house and took me away into the night. It's just a cloudy memory now, but what I clearly recall is the face of their leader. His gnarled nose pointing down at my body. His rough palms searching for a pulse at my neck, and his dark, almost black, eyes probing my seemingly lifeless body. The last thing I remembered of him was his crooked smile of satisfaction before he and the others disappeared from my view.

The next morning, I woke up in the middle of nowhere; not knowing where to go or who I was. All I knew was I had to find a way out of the forest. So I decided to head north, or at least what I thought was north. I trecked my way through what seemed like miles of fallen leaves and twigs, until I came upon a beautiful city of enormous buildings and neatly paved roads. It was hard to imagine something as grandiose and modernized could exist in such a desolate looking place. I started forward into the unknown metropolis, fueled by my own curiosity.

I push through a thick layer of bushes and fall onto the road behind them. As I'm lifting myself up off of the ground I notice that I am no longer alone. My head is down but I can still see the long shadow of some sort of figure. I raise my eyes to those of my company, and to my surprice I was greeted with an enthusiastic smile.

"He guys I found another one!" he shouted behind him.

All of a sudden I was surrounded by busy chatter and friendly faces. I was overwhelmed with confusion and the sense of urgengy I always got when something wasn't quite right. I tried to walk through the crowd but it was impenetrable. So I stayed in the center as the mass of people continued to close in around me. They started to pet me and jab at me with energetic fingers. Then I felt someone grab my wrist. Not gently like a friend or relative would, but like someone meaning to do me harm. I struggled to get away but then my other wrist was also in a vice grip. I was yanked through the crowd and pulled between two of the sleek buildings. That's when everything went black and my senses all failed me in my time of need... TBC


The author's comments:
I wrote this piece just because. I like to write in my spare time to let thoughts out so this came from a time when I was doing a random journal free write.