STRANGER WONDERER | Teen Ink

STRANGER WONDERER

By ladynewyork BRONZE, Jacksonville, Florida
ladynewyork BRONZE, Jacksonville, Florida

"i'm not slow, i'm just speical""

Give to me right, or don’t give it to me at all. The soulful voice of Melanie Fiona bounced off my small ’07 Camery. “Mhmm, tell him girl.” I said, agreeing to every word Melanie sang. Bobbing my head to the music, riding down the abandon highway, only the trees was my company. I was going to my sorority sister, Cat’s house, for a reunion, I haven’t seen my sorority sisters in almost five years, and I was so ecstatic to see them all again. Since I was going to her place for the very first time, I needed my good ole friend of mines to tell me how to get there. Ms.GPS. Never once has she ever failed me, well….except for now.

“Turn left.” The female’s voice said through its hand held screen. I looked around and there’s no where in this gods given woods were there any place to make a left.

“What are you talking about?” I ask the GPS, knowing she couldn’t respond back.
“Turn left.” She repeated. I chuckled.

“Ok, while I guess you don’t know where to go either huh.” I said more as a statement, rather than a question. I looked at screen, trying to see what highway I was on.

“Strange,” I said. “This road is not even on the map. No wonder this thing don’t know where’s its going.” I turned the GPS off, figuring I’m probably better off without it.

“Okay, well I guess I’m on my own then.” I turned up my radio, listening to Trey Songz newest single.

“You are one sexy, son of a –” static pushed Trey Songz out the way just to enter my car.

“Dang, well there goes my entertainment.” I turn off the radio, and drove in silence. A dark figure appeared in the middle of the street, I squints my eyes, leaning over the stirring wheel to get a closer look. I saw a female, waving her handing, letting me know to stop.
Now usually if I saw some crap like that, I would have drove around that person, and kept on driving. I mean these days, people are crazy, and you have to be careful when picking up hitch hiker. But this girl didn’t look like she can cause any harm. She looked like, she was around nine teen, if not younger, skinny and frail, but I can see she was healthy. She had wide slanted almond shape eyes, almost like she was deer caught in head light. Her skin was, tan and clear, if I didn’t know any better I could of mistaking her as a model. Slowly I pulled over, where she stood by the passage window.
Still with my window up, I asked, “you need a ride?” The young girl looked at, me like she was too scared to answer, lowering her head; she nodded “yes.” I unlocked the door, and she got in. I drove, and as if there was no one there, it remained quiet. I could no longer take it anymore, so I finally broke the silence.
“So…what is a girl like you doing in the wood?” her head still hanging low, her voice very low and timid.
“My car…my car broke down miles back.” Her thick Hispanic came through loud and clear.
“Weird, I been on this road for almost an hour, and didn’t see a car anywhere in sight.”

She said nothing. I figure she was still scared about being in car with a totally stranger, so I continue being friendly.

“So where were you heading?” she didn’t say anything, so I figure she didn’t want to talk, and I wasn’t going to push her.
“nowhere.” She said, suddenly an eerie vibe filled the entire car. A chill ran down my spine, something wasn’t right, but I couldn’t put my finger on it.

“Nowhere, what do you mean?”
“Don’t worry about it.” Finally she raised her head and looked at me. “Why did you pick me up?”

I looked at her eyes, and they were and off blue, almost white. For a second it looked like I could get lost in it. I snapped myself out of it, and looked at the road.

“I don’t know...you looked like you were stranded, and wanted helped.”
“How do you know I’m safe?” She faced forward, her face stone less.

“Huh?” I looked at her puzzled.
“How do you know I will not kill you?” okay now this chick is seriously starting to creep me out, but I don’t want to show fear.

“I guess because the way you look.”
“How do I look?” she started at me again intensely, her eyes still wide and innocent. My mouth felt like it was filled with cotton, I tried to moisten my mouth but no luck.

“Um…innocent, timid, scared, and lost.” I looked back on the road.
“And how do you know maybe I’m none of those things?” Now it was my turn to be speechless. She was right, how did I know if she wasn’t any of the things she appeared to be. Like the saying goes “looks can be deceiving.” I now regretted my decision, picking up this strange wonder.

“I-I don’t know.”
“And that’s where you made your mistake.” Her voice changed, no longer soft and timid, it was now older and seductive. I looked at her and her eyes were no longer an off blue, it was completely white. Her innocent face turned into a mature, experience women, but still young. She smiled, revealing her teeth, showing fangs.

Petrified, I pressed down on the brakes; I slammed against the stirring wheel. Still fully conscience, I press my body against the window.

“What are you?” I screamed.
“Your worst nightmare.” She pounced on me, her teeth burying inside my neck. I screamed in agony, but she doesn’t care, she continues sucking the life out of me. All my strength I had in me, trying to fight her off, slowly desiderated. She finally got off of me, blood covering her mouth. My eye lids slowly closing down on me, I knew this will be the place I will die in.

“Why?” breathlessly I said, using my last breath.
“You’re the one who picked up a strange wonder, it was your choice.” She said, opening the passenger side door, grabbing my ankles, pulling me to the ground. My body was cold, and every part of me became numb. I knew I was dying quickly, and the last thing I do not want to see is my killer, so I looked up at the mid-night sky. Give it to me right, or don’t give it to me at all. Melanie continuously repeated in my head. I closed my eyes, and went into a eternal sleep

this is another story that just came to me, while i was in one of my writing classes. i had no idea where i was going with this, but with my stranger imagination i cam up with...Strange Wonderer. hope you enjoy:)