secret under the floorboards | Teen Ink

secret under the floorboards

By shannonbresnahan SILVER, Colfax, California
shannonbresnahan SILVER, Colfax, California

I am your secret hidden under the floorboards, your undisclosed dream you wrapped up in the cobwebs. You may not see me, but no matter how frightening it may seem, I see you. It is too dark for you to peer through the cracks in the floor, but believe me, I am still there. And when those lights in your room turn on, and those fashionably dressed people twirl around, drunkenly laughing and stumbling, I can pick you out of the crowd, and I can see your every movement, hear your every word.
As the feet step over my tiny peephole, this musty damp space becomes dark, but I still know you are there. This is because, I know you. I have had months to watch you, and I know who you pretend to be, and who you really are. You never took the time to know me, you stuffed me under here without even learning my name, but I know everything.
You may think you are safe, you may think I am just a dead memory- but no, I am still lurking in your mind, planning my escape. You may think I cannot claw my way up through this rotting wood, but I can. You will let something slip, and they will come. They will hold you back as you scream in agony at the thought of letting your secret be known to the world, but they will rip out those nails, and tear apart your floor, plank by plank- until I am discovered.
It is too late for me to be saved, I have suffered my fate- but it is not too late for me to get my revenge. You think all these people and your stylish parties will cover me up, you think the mix of perfumes that waft into the room will hide my decaying odor, but somewhere along the way, they will find me. No more lively parties, no more people laughing at your stupid jokes, all that will be is you and your cold cell. You will beg for mercy, say it was a mistake, but no one will listen to you when my evidence is written in every newspaper, my picture is plastered on every wall.
You may think you are safe, but I will win. So go ahead, live your life of glory and fame, stow me away in the depths of your mind, keep me confined in this cramped space. But I, the secret under your floorboards, won’t be a secret forever.

SongAway BRONZE, Burton-Upon-trent, Other

"I need to find me a quote"??

Hmm thought provoking, to say the least. It's very weird, which is not a criticism at all, I enjoyed it.

Katrselyn said...
Katrselyn, Kankakee, Illinois
this is amazing! i wouldn't stop reading! As i did I felt scared too :P