The Nightmare

“Miss. Mathers?” my English teacher called.
“Miss. Mathers, I suggest you wake up this instant!” I jumped out of my seat and onto the cold floor. As my classmates laughed and laughed at my confusion, I finally became aware that I had fallen asleep and had my reoccurring nightmare. Thinking about my nightmare, I murmured, “Sorry Mr. Gibbs,” as the bell rang, and I ran out of class for the rest of the day, I could not stop thinking about my nightmare.

I have not yet told anyone about it; I have kept it to myself for quite awhile. It came to the point of not being able to sleep at night, because I was too scared. Every time I would fall asleep, the nightmare came back. I felt that I was trapped and could not breathe. I have always hated the feeling a person gets when for example: drowning or being buried alive. It is having my oxygen cut short that freaks me out. I cannot stand it! I keep telling myself to tell someone, anyone, but I am afraid that if I do, my nightmare will come true. Tonight. Tonight I will tell Jessica.

Just my luck! Jessica is not picking up her phone. Ugh!! What will I do now? I know! I will go to her house tomorrow morning, but tonight I will try to go to sleep. Next thing I know my mom is shaking me awake and telling me to wake up.
“It is okay, you are okay, wake up.” As I came fully awake, I noticed I was soaked in sweat and that I was crying. “Mom, can I ask you something?”
“Sure sweetheart.” She said.
“Have you ever wondered how you are going to die?” I asked.
“No, I have not. I think that a person should not know, it should be whenever god decides. Why?” She said.
“Well you see I have been having this dream well more like nightmare. It always starts out the same. I see someone I guess it is me and I am stuck in a burning house. I am trying to get out, but all exits are blocked. I do not know what to think all I do is act. I run and run but I get nowhere.”
“How long have you been having this dream?” my mom asked.
“I do not know maybe two weeks or so. I wake up screaming and in a cold sweat every time I try to escape the burning house. I feel much better now that I talked to you mom. Thanks.” I said.
“No problem. Try and go back to sleep you will be fine I promise.” My mom said.

The next day, I felt good, and I had slept for the rest of the night after talking about it with my mom. While I was walking to school, I was just getting to Jessica’s house when I hear the first of the screams. I ran to see what was going on. It was like déjà vu. My nightmare, it was happening. I tried to rush to her house and help them escape.
“Jessica, Jessica, where are you?” I yelled. No answer. The police came too late, the firefighters were too late, and I was too late.

That day, I lost my best friend and her family. It is tragedies like these that I was hoping to avoid. Unfortunately, I realized too late that my nightmare was not about me but about my best friend.

This article has 1 comment. Post your own!

Orlene L. said...

Hi! 

This was a writing assignment for my English class, and I thought to submit it to Teenink. I made it up, and I would really appreciate your feedback.

Thank you :)