the man we killed ch.3 | Teen Ink

the man we killed ch.3

October 29, 2010
By johnjohn123 SILVER, St.helens, Oregon
johnjohn123 SILVER, St.helens, Oregon
9 articles 0 photos 22 comments

Chapter three



“Is he dead?” Savannah asked.



Devon got down on his knees, and felt the guys neck. “He’s dead,” He said as he stood up.



“We should call the police,” Jared said.



“Yeah right, do you want to get arrested? Cause I don’t.”



“Well, then what are we going to do?” Bree asked. “I mean we can`t just leave him here.”

“This is all your fault!” Ellen burst out suddenly and angrily, glaring at Devon.

“My fault?” Devon asked his voice a little louder then hers.

“None of this would have happened if you just listened to me in the first place.” She screamed.

“Oh, so you knew this would happen,” he yelled back at her.

“I didn’t know what would happen,” she said, and then she screamed, “Which is why we shouldn’t have come! I told you something bad would happen, but you didn’t believe me and now look were we are!”




“Why you-“




“Stop it!” Rachel yelled, and then she lowered her voice and said “This isn`t going to help us, we can’t fight with each other.” They stopped arguing.




So what are we going to do?” Peter asked, his eyes were darting left to right, and the color was drained from his face, I started to get more nervous. Then we all turned are eyes to Jared.




“What?” he asked.




“Well, you are the smartest of all of us.” Rose said




“Well, that makes me a little uneasy.” He said.




“Look do you have any ideas or not,” Asked Todd.




“Look for once in my life, I don’t, I really don’t.”




“damn it ,” Devon said “Well, do any of you have any ideas?”




“I do.” Emma mumbled.




“Great, I`d love to hear it.” Devon said sarcastically.




“Well we could just take him to a hospital.”

“Oh, yeah that’s so brilliant. I, we would get arrested!” Todd yelled at her.

“He`s wearing all black. They know we wouldn’t have seen him! It’s his own fault for not being careful!”

“Police don’t care about that stuff, I would get arrested!”

“Well, what are we going to do then?”

“What if we just leave him here?” Rose murmured quietly.

I froze, and thought about it for a second. I liked the idea, but I knew we couldn’t do that. “That’s a horrible idea. Rose, we can’t just leave him, I mean come on. You know that’s a horrible thing to do.” I said, before anyone could really grasp the idea.

“No, it’s not. He’s dead anyways it wouldn’t matter. If we just leave him, our lives will go back to normal, no one would know it was us who hit him.”

“Our lives wouldn’t go back to normal; whatever we do our lives won’t go back to normal I know that, and you know that,” Ellen insisted.

“Well we have to do something.” Bree said.

“Well we could- never mind, it was a bad idea” Todd began.

“Todd, what is it?” asked Devon.

After a pause which seemed to go on forever Todd told us what he was thinking. “Well we could just get rid of him.” Dead silence, I could practically hear my hart beating. It was about I minute until someone said something,

“what!” Bree cried,” that’s a horrible idea! How could- that’s just- what!”

I wanted to say something about how we couldn’t do that, and I opened my mouth to say something, but nothing came out, then Jared said what I was thinking, “Todd how could you even think that?”

“Look, I don’t want to get arrested , do you?” Todd asked angrily.

“No, I don’t.” Jared said quietly, while looking at the ground.

“Exactly, are you guys with me or not?”

“I`m with you.” Devon said “we get rid of the body and every thing goes back to normal.”

“Well I`m not with it at all,” Emma declared.

“And nether am I,” Ellen said

“Well do you want to lose your scholarship to Harvard?”

“No,” Emma said quietly. But Ellen would not give up,

“What if the guy has a family?”

“Well, let’s find out.” Said Peter. He got to the ground and, slowly and carefully he put his hand inside the guy’s pants pocket, my heart started to beat faster and faster. Then he took his out of the guy’s pocket, and I saw that he was holding a wallet. He stood up slowly, opened the wallet, and started to throw credit cards on the ground. With every credit card my heart would beat faster, and I could feel the color drain from my face, and with each card I got more and more nervous.

“Here” Peter announced, and I knew he found the guys driver license. “His name is Nicolas Poland,” he paused for a couple of seconds, and asked “Does that sound familiar to you?”

I thought about it for a second and said, “Yes, but I can’t remember where though.”

“I know,” Savannah said.

After a pause, “Well?” Devon asked.

“He was on the news around the time Jasper died, that’s probably why you guys don’t remember, well his daughter was kidnapped eight years before, and the night Jasper died they found her body. And three days later, (At least this is what the police said), a guy came into their house, to like get money and s***, and the wife walked in on him. The guy stabbed her to death with a pair of kitchen scissors.”



There was dead silence, you could hear the breeze blow, the smallest noise, noises you never thought you could hear. It seemed like forever until someone finally broke the silence.



“Wow,” Peter said. I jumped and it didn’t seem like I was the only one. After a pause he asked, “Well are we going to get rid of the guy or not?”





“Yeah,” Devon said “We are, help me-“ that’s when I heard a soft rumble, “What is that?” he asked.



I saw Rachel’s eyes get wide, and the color that was left from her face was gone. And I knew what she was going to say before a single word uttered her lips. “It’s a car.” She said with horror.