The wind Beneath My Wings | Teen Ink

The wind Beneath My Wings

October 2, 2010
By triplethreat BRONZE, Avon, Ohio
triplethreat BRONZE, Avon, Ohio
1 article 0 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
"A queen is not afraid to fail....," Oprah


The road was bumpy, and the moon was the only bright light seen for miles. My headlights were still on strong, but somehow my tires lost the battle. I was driving home from a party at Val’s, when I heard a hissing complaint from the not-so sturdy wheels. My tire was dead. Since I learned some necessary things like how to change a tire from my dad, I put my knowledge to use. I got back into my own used car, probably stone old in people years, and drove back home.

Before you could say “Dr. Jeckel and Mr. Hide were the same guy”, the sky got foggy and my light source overhead left. The moon was blanketed by the looming clouds, and I was blinded by the darkness. Good thing I had my headlights on. Suddenly out of no where, the clouds rained bucketfuls of hail. I grunted because I knew this was just my luck. I drove faster, probably breaking the speed limit by 10 miles per hour. If I didn’t get home for curfew, my car, and frankly, my life, were all gone.

The consequences rose each minute, and I could hear my conscience yelling at me to get a life. I saw a figure faintly walking across the road, gliding to the other end of the road. The figure didn’t even notice when I put on my high beams, or when I honked multiple times, like a crazy grandma that can’t wait to get to her bingo night. Then everything happened in a blur.
I swerved, dodged, and successfully missed the figure. To my disadvantage, I swerved too much to the right and went down the side of a hill. I bobbed and weaved through the trees and right before I hit a pine, I screamed, and hit the break. I blinked. I was so glad to be alive! I got out of the car and checked the damage. There was none whatsoever. I went inside my car to start it up. I didn’t know my way around here. There was no road to be seen. The battery of the car was dead. I didn’t know what else to do, knowing all communication, like my phone, are gone. Someone would look for me. Right?

I reclined my chair, and drifted to bed, seeing as my life almost flashed before me. I didn’t care if I went home to a ballistic mom or an aggravated dad; I just wanted to be there, instead of here in an old, smelly car. But the main question was: where am I?

I didn’t know the roads, but I was almost positive of this site. This was the site of the Gore Orphanage. Legend says that over 100 orphans died in a fire. So that meant that 100 children and one adult were informally buried here.

I started to close my eyes, but still awake to hear the trees whisper and the dried leaves cackle. It was an eerie lullaby. The last thing I saw before I fell asleep were glowing tombstones spread across a field, serving as a nightlight for a chilly, crisp fall night.
?????
Cindy Nicolson whispered to her friends to help this lost girl out. If it wasn’t for this new girl, she would’ve been dead, if she had a life. She called her friends, disguising her voice in as the wind.
“Let’s help this girl out.”
Sarah Rogers floated to face Cindy. She scowled at the idea.
“Help a child? HA! I am bored, however. Perhaps she can be my monthly entertainment. If I must handle this situation, I will do it my way.”

Sarah chuckled, but Cindy shot her a ghostly glare.

“Go ahead. Just don’t let her join our… clan.”

Sarah vanished, and then said, “She might, but if she does, it will only be because of a human, or should I say a minor spirit error.”
?????

I woke up with a headache, out of breath. That was the worst dream! Everything was dark and all I heard were voices… talking about joining a clan. I sat up to see a dewy side of my car. Must’ve hailed or rained a load. I looked closer to see the rain drops turn into fingerprints around the car. I looked up to see that I was in view of the main road. It’s a miracle! My battery and engine some how worked, but it still sounded like it was on its last leg.

I drove comfortably, but the more time I drove, the more I couldn’t see clearly. It was still dark, so I must’ve taken about an hours worth of sleep. The finger prints were more noticeable. I brake, but the car doesn’t stop. I pull it to PARK, but the car doesn’t halt. I scream as I see horrendous burned faces of children appear around my car. They have ashes and soot on them, and you could see the peeling skin expose another burnt layer of skin. Dried up blood framed the crevices of where their dimples were supposed to be, and their eyes were like black marbles. They smelled like a mix between mold and rust. Disgusting. It was a goose bump raising experience, and I could’ve lived without it.

“STOP!!!!” I yelled to the children, only knowing that as children, they won’t listen. The car did stop for a second. I noticed too late that I was in mid air. It dropped out of the sky and crashed. I then see a light. No, two, actually. I try to open my eyes fully, and when I do it is too late. I see a semi truck heading straight toward me. I scream, and my vision slowly fades to darkness. The last thing I see is a flying girl pick me up, and take me to my new home. Now I feel, hear, see, and smell the wind. I am dust in the wind.
?????

Cindy had approximately 20 seconds to argue with Sarah before the girl woke up to her new “life”.

“You scared her to death!”

“No kidding,” Sarah replied, smirking.

“This is the third person this month! I know you want an accomplice, but this is the last straw! Now we have to explain everything over again! What if she isn’t like you?” Cindy silently prayed she wasn’t.

“She looked like fun. Actually, the first time she saw me, she looked scared. Pretty freaked, I might say,” Sarah laughed at her own joke, playing back in her head the priceless image of a screaming teen.

“Don’t tell me you used the face,” Cindy said. Every human would jump if they saw her coming at them, especially with the face on.

“Okay then I won’t,” Sarah promised. She flew next to Cindy, expecting the victim to wake up.

As expected, Emily woke up suddenly, though in a daze. She looked around. She saw two girls standing a couple feet away from her. They were both in dresses, wearing sewn together rags as clothes. She recognized the one girl, but she couldn’t remember where.

“Where am I?” Emily asked, befuddled.

“You are at the orphanage. I do not see your parents, so you are an official orphan.”

Emily understood instantly. She kept a poker face, but inside she winced. She looked at a two story building, stretched across an open field. She knew this place, but couldn’t remember where. She took a closer look and gasped knowingly. She went inside, and the orphanage looked just like new. She robotically found her room, because it was hard to miss. It was glowing for only her to see.

She some how knew she wasn’t going to make t back for curfew.


The author's comments:
This is not a scary story, but along the lines of a creepy fiction story.