The Deadly Family Secret | Teen Ink

The Deadly Family Secret

September 30, 2010
By EerieMystery BRONZE, Schenectady, New York
EerieMystery BRONZE, Schenectady, New York
4 articles 2 photos 4 comments

I could see my future flashing before my eyes. This can’t be happening. This can’t be happening. I kept repeating in my head, but it was. Everything was so real. It’s just a bad dream. I tried to persuade myself. But it wasn’t. I wouldn’t wake up and find anything normal again. The bright red blood splattered and my clothes and hands were real. The knife lying in front of my brother’s body was real. My brother lying motionless was real. It was just supposed to be a scene for a movie. He said the knife was fake. He said that the murder was fake! But it was all so real. Too real. I fell to the hardwood floor. I wasn’t crying nor did I even feel the slightest bit of remorse. Maybe I wanted to kill him. I thought bitterly. Then I angrily shook the thought of that away. It’s shock…just shock. I told myself.
“The body!” I said aloud. I glanced back over at the unmoving body. I forced myself to stand up, my legs were shaking and numb. I ran over to the phone and punched in 9-1-1. What am I thinking? I can’t call the police! I hit the clear button and punched in my best friend’s number.
It rang once. Twice. Three times. Come on, pick up.
“Hello,” Paula murmured sleepily, as always. Even though it was only 4pm, she was still asleep.
“Paula…you remember when I covered for you when you went out with Jacob?”
“Yeah…”
I bit my lip. “I need a favor…” I knew that covering didn’t compare to hiding a dead body. Especially the dead body of my only brother, but Paula was the only person I could trust…right?
“What do you need?” she asked groggily.
“I need you to help me…hide a body?” I said, twisting a strand of my golden blonde hair.
“WHAT?!” she yelled, suddenly sounding very awake. “A b-body?” she said, lowering her voice.”Who’s?”
“Robin’s…” I said.
A long moment of silence went by. “Paula?”
“You killed your brother?” she whispered.
“I-I didn’t mean to!” I exclaimed, grateful that I was home alone.
“I’ll be over in an hour…”
“Thanks, I really owe you!”
The line went dead. About half an hour later the doorbell rang. “Hey she’s early!” I muttered out loud. I rushed to the door.
Two uniformed officers stood at the door. PAULA! I thought angrily. “Miss Jones?”
“Y-yes.” I said my voice cracking. I wanted to slam the door and run to a dark place and never be found again. Not jail!
“We have some news.”
“News?” I managed to croak out.
“I am sorry to have to tell you this, but your parents were killed this evening.”
“W-what? How?” I asked.
“They were killed in a car accident. I am sorry.”
They continued on, but I was spaced out. I shut the door when they left, suddenly feeling…guilty. I still didn’t feel sad. I felt…relief. Relief that they weren’t there to arrest me and thankful I didn’t get caught. I felt adrenaline pumping from within me. I smiled. I didn’t get caught and I killed someone. Sure it was my brother, but…did I really love him? This was the start of a deadly circle. I felt the sudden strange need to kill.I felt it take over me.
The doorbell rang. “Annie!” Paula screamed.
I grinned and grabbed the bloody knife off of the floor...