Rose Red | Teen Ink

Rose Red

By Jill-Layton BRONZE, San Jose, California
Jill-Layton BRONZE, San Jose, California

"Pay no attention to Caeser, Caeser doesn't have the slightest idea what's really going on"
-Kurt Vonnegut, Cats Cradle

Conner stood in the brightly-lit field, arms crossed over his chest
"Dan and Michael just got on the number twenty-three bus straight outta here," Came a voice from behind him. Conner turned around smiling vaguely.
Maddie smiled, the sun shining through her flaxen hair,"You really did it Con," She said as she stepped forward and took his hand, "You really did it," She whispered, her eyes glittering.
Conner smiled, but his mind was somewhere else. Had Maddies eyes always been that shade of blue? Had her hair always been that long?
Conner looked at Maddie, blushed, and quickly looked away. He then bent down, and handed her a single white carnation, suddenly feeling like he was back in elementary school giving a valentine to the girl he "like-liked". For a long time she looked at the flower like she had never seen one like it in her life.
"For you," He said slowly. Maddie took the flower in one shacking hand. She bit her lip, tears falling down her face.
"Conner...Conner...Oh god!" She cried as she dropped the flower and tightly wrapped her arms around Conner,"I love you!" She said into his chest.
Conner blinked, suddenly feeling dizzy. He remembered bits and pieces of a car ride,"I love..."
His head hurt.
Blood, he tasted blood.
Green
Green
His wifes eyes were green!
His vision was fading, distantly, he heard the sound of glass breaking in the
distance
I love you Maddie
i love you Maddie
i luv yu maddie
maddie
maddie
madee

"Did you find anyone?" Marcus Vonelly said idly, putting out his fifth cigarette in the ashtray beside him.
John grimaced,"J**** man, it was a slaughterhouse."
Marcus raised an eyebrow,"Of course it was, train crashes aren't normally so la-dee-da. But you didn't answer my question."
"We found one guy. Conner Tanner, died on the way here though. Kept blabbing 'bout his wife, had a big gash in his head-C***** it was a sight!"
"Stuff like that is the reason I'm glad I got out of manning the ambulance.