Drowning | Teen Ink

Drowning

September 23, 2010
By CuteAsIce PLATINUM, Pretoria, Other
CuteAsIce PLATINUM, Pretoria, Other
20 articles 0 photos 42 comments

Favorite Quote:
Today is always a good day because tomorrow is new day.


Mary choked as water filled her open mouth. No. No. This can not be happening. She tried to kick with her feet, desperate to keep her head above water but she was never much of a swimmer. Her clothes clung to her body, an extra weight trying to drag her down. Mary kept kicking, looking for a way out of the icy water but then exhaustion took over and she slid under. Flapping her arms she pushed against the current. Time out. She had run out of air. Precious oxygen escaped from her blue lips and her vision grew hazy. Mary closed her eyes but still she felt her body sinking deeper into the murky waters.

Mary awoke, sweat soaked in bed. “@#!*,” Mary always had a fear of drowning, since she was a kid. Breathing heavily she twisted her body onto the edge of her mattress and stood up. There was a splash as her feet landed in cold water.

Looking around she registered that she was in her room but there was still a small possibility of her being stuck in another nightmare. Forcing herself to walk forward, Mary switch on the light and followed the sound of running water.

“Oh my gosh!” the bathroom had over flooded again! Running to get some towel Mary shouted outside her room mates door, “Hey, Anna! I need some help here.”

Brushing the hair from her face, Mary bent down on her knees and began moping up the floor. After a few minutes she called again, “Hey Anna! Wake up; I’m not cleaning up this mess alone. Either help me or call the bloody plumbers!” When there was still no answer Mary began to feel irritated. She stood up, splashing water around her and marched up to Anna’s room. She banged on the door, “Anna! Hey Anna!”

Still no answer.
Mary opened the door, not bothering to be silent.
“Anna –,” Mary froze. Anna was awake and standing but there was something wrong. Anna’s eyes looked too white and she was holding herself in a strange way.
“Hello Mary. Mary, Mary quiet contrary,” Anna smiled at her.
Mary gasped. Taking a step back she pressed herself against the wall. Only one person ever called her that. Mike, a.k.a. her dead boyfriend.
“Come on Anna, that’s not funny,” Mary whispered.
Anna or Anna’s body walked closer and brushed her hand against Mary’s wet cheek.

“Mary, what’s wrong? I thought you’d be glad to see me.”
Mary closed her eyes. I don’t believe in spirits. I don’t believe in spirits. Mike is dead, so is all the abuse and drugs that came with him.
“Honey…” Mike pressed her body harder against the wall. Mary flinched. It’s not possible. This can’t be Mike. Not sweet kind Mike. I loved him – what happened? The answer was simple. He died.
“W-w-what happened to A-Anna?” Mary’s voice caught. Fear held her in place.
“She’s gone. You know Mary, I came back just for you.”
“Can you go back to heaven or h*ll just for me?”
Anna’s face smiled, “You always had a strange sense of humour –.” Suddenly he was cut of. Mary felt Anna’s body, still very close to her, shudder and sway.
Mary caught her as she feel and fearful eyes stared up at her.
“Ssshh, it’s okay,” Mary held Anna in her arms. They sat on the puddle floor as Anna shook with horror and realization of what happened. She had been possessed.
“Mary…” she murmured. “He’s coming back.”
“#%@!”