The Deadly Truth (8) | Teen Ink

The Deadly Truth (8)

By TeamJacobArchuleta ELITE, Chicago, Illinois
TeamJacobArchuleta ELITE, Chicago, Illinois

He's the one I call in the middle of the night. He's the one who makes everything alright. He loves me with no regret...I just haven't found him yet.

As Bobby walked away, I felt a small piece of my heart chip. It wasn’t like I was in love with Bobby or anything, we weren’t even going out. But if I just let him go and settled for Connor that easily, we probably never would. And I really couldn’t be left wondering what could have been.

But what did I really know about Bobby anyways? Besides that he could have possibly killed my sister.

Ok, so that pretty much made Bobby off-limits. Which in a way, was good, because I knew that I shouldn’t have been with him anyways. I knew that I was letting my lust and desire get ahead of me. I knew that I didn’t actually like Bobby because I thought he had a great personality. In fact, he irritated me to the extreme most of the time.

So why did I feel such a desire for him?

“What was up with that guy?” Connor’s question interrupted my thoughts, tuning me back in to reality.

“Oh, um, I’m not really sure.” I replied.

“Well what did he want to talk to you about so badly? Do you know?” he asked in curiosity.

I shook my head, “No. I don’t.” I lied. I knew exactly what he wanted to talk to me about. He wanted to ask me what my most recent dream had uncovered for me. But there was no way I was going to explain all of this to Connor.

“It seemed pretty important, don’t you think? I mean, it’s great that you stood up for me like that, but aren’t you at least wondering what he wanted to say?” he inquired.

“I have a feeling that it can wait until tomorrow.” I told him.

He simply shrugged, “If you say so.” Then we continued eating.

That night, I sat upright in my bed, glancing over at my alarm clock every couple of minutes. I was almost positive that Bobby was sitting in Detective Howard’s office right now, getting questioned. And I was even more positive that he knew that I was the one who had put Detective Howard up to this.

However, I didn’t care whether or not he knew that. After all, he really couldn’t get any angrier with me than he was at lunch earlier today. I was guessing that Bobby wasn’t really used to people telling him “no”. So when I did it, he was probably a little shocked and a lot offended.

I didn’t owe him anything though. If I wanted to say “no” to him, then I would. Maybe next time, he’d think twice before intruding on one of my conversations.

I laid back on my pillow and let out a deep sigh. “Who am I kidding?” I muttered. I knew that I was only getting all worked up about this because I wanted it all to be true. I wanted to be peeved off at Bobby. I wanted to completely hate his guts. I wanted to be happy that I’d put him in his place today.

But I wasn’t.

There was some part of me that was way out of my control that stopped me from obtaining all of these feelings. And I hated it.

I glanced over at my clock again, noting that it now read ‘7:59’. I watched as the numbers switched to read ‘8:00’ within the blink of an eye. And then my phone buzzed.

I picked it up without looking at the caller I.D., which ended up to be a pretty stupid move.

“Hello?” I answered.

“Hey, Rachel!” Lindsey’s way-too-peppy, beyond annoying voice chirped.

“Lindsey, what a surprise.” I muttered.

“So,” she began, disregarding my bitter comment, “I heard that you and Connor are going out now.”

“Where did you hear that?” I demanded. He had just asked me out today, how could word have possibly gotten around that quickly?

“Oh, everyone knows about it.” she informed me as if it were obvious. “News travels quickly in high school, especially when it’s good gossip.”

“So me dating Connor is good gossip?” I inquired.

“Definitely!” she cried. “Speaking of Connor, I uh, saw the little fight at lunch today. What was that all about?”

“It was nothing.” I replied. She didn’t need to know about all of my personal issues with Bobby.

“It was more than just nothing.” she stated matter-of-factly. “Connor and Bobby seemed pretty angry. It almost seemed like they were fighting over something. You, perhaps?”

My eyes went wide and a blush spread across my cheeks. “They were not fighting over me.” I remarked. “Connor just got mad because Bobby interrupted our conversation.”

“Fine, we’ll go with that story.” she murmured, annoyed that I wouldn’t give her all the juicy details.

“I’m serious, that’s all it was!”

“Do you want to know what it looked like to me?” she asked.

“Uh, sure, I guess.” I said, but in truth, I really didn’t care what it looked like to her.

“It looked like Bobby wanted to have you all to himself, so he told Connor to leave. But this made Connor jealous because he wanted to have you all to himself. So they began to argue. Over you.”

“I have no idea where you got that ridiculous story from, but that is so not what happened!” I asserted.

“Rachel, you don’t have to try to hide it from me. I’m not stupid.” she stated.

“What are you talking about?” I asked, truly unsure of what she was referring to.

“I know that Bobby likes you.” she said.

“He does not like me. We’re barely even friends.” I declared.

She sighed lightly, “Whatever, but just for the record, I know that you like him too. That’s why you’re freaking out about this.”

“Ok, you’re getting way ahead of yourself here! I don’t like Bobby and he doesn’t like me. Bobby and I are friends. Nothing more than that. Just friends.”

“Fine, but I just want to make something clear. Bobby is mine.” Her tone went from sweet and perky to dark and malicious within seconds. “He always was and he always will be.”

“Um, I’m not sure if you’re aware of this, but Bobby dumped you a long time ago.” I said, infuriating her.

“Just because we had a slight glitch in our relationship doesn’t mean things won’t work out in the end!” she shouted. “You’re stupid, jealous, little sister stole him away from me already. But now that she’s out of the way, I’m not letting you steal him away.” she spat. “Bobby and I will end up together. No matter what it takes.”

She hung up the phone, leaving me stunned. I flipped my phone shut and rested my head against my pillow, letting a heavy, tense breath out. I couldn’t believe that Lindsey had just said that to me. The hardest thing for me to believe was what she said about Becca.

This just led me into thinking that Lindsey was the one who killed Becca after all. She made it pretty obvious by the way she spoke of her as if she were glad that she was dead. As if Becca was just another obstacle in the way of her relationship with Bobby.

She had plenty of reasons to kill Becca. None of them were morally right, but they were definitely motives for murder. The jealous ex gets a little too out of control and murders the current girlfriend. It made perfect sense. But so did a lot of my other theories and I didn’t want to risk settling on a conclusion that wasn’t right. I had to keep my mind open to other options. However, this one seemed pretty likely at the moment.

Gosh, I really needed to stop thinking about this. It was beginning to make my head hurt. What I really needed was a nice, long, peaceful sleep. But I knew that it wouldn’t exactly be peaceful. Not with the dreams I was having.

Nevertheless, I laid down, getting comfortable, and shut my eyes, falling asleep.

“I’m sorry you feel that way.” Bobby told her. “But I didn’t choose this. I didn’t want to fall in love with your sister. It just happened. I’m sorry, I wish I could fix it. I wish that I could make things work out between us. But that’s just not going to happen.”

Becca shook her head, tears running down her blotchy face. “No!” she suddenly cried out. “You can’t do this to me, Bobby! You can’t just leave me! We’re supposed to be together!”

“Wow, this is kind of how I felt when he left me for you.” Lindsey spoke up smugly. “Now do you see how I felt, Becca? Huh? Now do you see what you did to me?”

Becca looked over at her, disbelief clouding her eyes. “Lindsey, what are you talking about? It wasn’t my fault. Bobby’s the one who chose me, not the other way around. Besides, you’re my best friend. I thought that you were way past this.”

“Yeah, that was such a long time ago.” Bobby added.

Lindsey shook her head, scoffing. “Well, guess what? A broken heart can never be mended. No matter how much time passes, no matter what you do to try and fix it, it never heals. There’s always a part of you that remembers, that hurts, that’s broken.”

“Oh Lindsey, I had no idea you felt this way.” Becca told her.

“Yeah, because you didn’t take ever a second to think about how I felt. You don’t care! You never have and you probably never will. Everyone thinks of you as such a nice, sweet, innocent person, but I see past that. I see what an evil, self-centered, heartless person you truly are.” she hissed.

This comment really hurt Becca. It was easily seen through the expression on her face. “You really feel this way about me?” she asked in disbelief.

“Yes. I do.” Lindsey remarked evenly.

Becca took a deep breath, “Wow, my entire world has just came crashing down on me. Everyone that I trusted, that I loved, has hurt me. My best friend, my boyfriend. And most of all, my sister.”

cHicKEnWaNg1 SILVER, Marietta, Georgia

It aint no thang but a chicken wang

when i first started reading this i didnt know who did it but then we rachel started having dreams i kinda thought she did it and didint remeber or something now im not so sure again if her dreams are right

thanx so much for reading, i'm so glad u like it!! :)

lol i'm so glad u like it...i'll definitely submit some more today :)

xxjasmineibxx GOLD, Brooklyn, New York

3 words that describes life. It goes on. You can never be certain on how life will play out and you just have to wish on a star and hope for the best.

Oh.My.God. This is AMAZING! I loved the last sentence. It left me wondering what Rachel would do in the next chapter. Can't wait!!!

inspire.identity. PLATINUM, Ajax, Other
MORE please NOW. ;) this is amazing and really captivating ! :D