Full Moon | Teen Ink

Full Moon

July 9, 2010
By SammiLukan BRONZE, Honolulu, Hawaii
SammiLukan BRONZE, Honolulu, Hawaii
2 articles 4 photos 15 comments

Favorite Quote:
Try a thing you haven’t done three times. Once, to get over the fear of doing it. Twice, to learn how to do it. And a third time, to figure out whether you like it or not.


- Virgil Garnett Thomson


The wind whispers secrets, tickling my ears in the cold of night and hushes my heavy breathes. With sore eyes from haunted dreams I stare down at my feet. Both are buried in a mess of mud. Between my toes I feel the slosh of wet earth as I wiggle myself free and stand upright. I’d thought it was only a dream yet here I stand surrounded by cold trees uncaring of my panicked, racing heart.

My mind is working overtime to collect a memory of walking to this dark spot, yet it is either forgotten or unknown. When a strong wind overtakes me it sends my colorful pajama shorts slashing at my legs and tank top ripping against my stomach. My numb body stumbled forward, in that direction I began to walk.

Dead night was not a favored time to be lost in the woods. For several paces I felt my way through the dark until my eyes had time to adjust. When I was able to properly see I found that not much farther ahead stood a lone cabin almost hidden in the trees if not for the blood red door begging for me to take a look inside.

Moving forward I reached up my hand to knock but it parted. Slightly at first, the door opened, I could sense I hadn’t made contact with the painted wood so I stood a step back.


“You poor dear, are you lost child?” A voice, crooked with age, spoke out from the shadows of the unlit cabin. She moved forward into the light of the night provided by a full moon. This sent me another step back into the woods. Her face was melted in wrinkles and silver bullet eyes bore into mine which most described as a lively green. Ratty gray hair bunched on top the old woman’s head and she reached out a hand to me.

The last words I heard that night, “Wont you come inside.”


The author's comments:
Hey, I'm really looking for some feedback. I've never posted my writing anywhere and any comments would be really helpful. Thanks :)