Island Storm | Teen Ink

Island Storm

June 15, 2010
By Mike25 BRONZE, Oakville, Other
Mike25 BRONZE, Oakville, Other
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
A day without laughter is a day wasted.


By day the mountainside is a vision of lush green landscape against the rocky cliff. Water trickles down the side of the mountain into a babbling stream that winds through the rocks below and on into the sea. High above in the evergreens a flock of large birds chirp in unison. The sounds from the water and the birds are the perfect backdrop to the colourful wildflowers swaying in the breeze next to the stream.
In spite of the rain that continues to fall, the sun appears briefly in the west and slowly disappears behind the mountain. A beautiful rainbow forms a crown above the majestic mountain until night falls and all becomes quiet except for the calls of the owls in the trees.


The rain continues through the evening as it has for the past two weeks. Mud and mossy growth cover the forest floor. The peaceful mood of the early evening seems to fade into the darkness. Steadily the rain increases in intensity. Raindrops furiously pound the trees and the wind picks up in speed. The birds become silent. Leaves are blowing off the trees and the heavy rain is making it difficult to see. The approaching storm is making itself known. There is not much time to find shelter.

The winds are now howling in my ears as thunder booms overhead. The storm is moving in rapidly and safe shelter is a difficult climb up the side of the mountain to the cave that has been home for the last two weeks. As an intense white bolt of lightning shoots across the night sky, the dangerous path up the rocky cliff is illuminated. There is no time to hesitate. The slope is muddy and covered in debris from the storm.
Mother Nature is bearing down on me as I attempt to scale the mountain to safety. This is a race I cannot lose. My heart is pounding in my chest and it is becoming difficult to breathe. Just a few more feet to go…


Suddenly the wind shifts and I grab a nearby tree branch for support. My heart sinks as the branch snaps off and my footing on the wet rock is lost. I am falling. I want to survive this. I want to go home…


The author's comments:
I was inspired one day by how quickly life can be taken away.