The Hospital Made for Death | Teen Ink

The Hospital Made for Death

By MusicOutcast BRONZE, South Burlington, Vermont
MusicOutcast BRONZE, South Burlington, Vermont

Part 1

I had the surprise of my life when I opened the door and saw my friend, lying on the floor, blood surrounding her. Her murderer stole her life and her kidney. The blood in her face was all drained out, along with the rest of her body. She had the gentlest face, but it was covered in blood. As I turned around, I was stabbed to the ground. I looked around to find him, but he was nowhere to be found.
I was wounded, a knife in my chest. The doctor said I wasn’t going to make it through surgery, but he was wrong. I slowly sat up, aware I might rip the stitches. It took every ounce of strength I had left to get me up. Janelle came in, she was my nurse. “Sam, you have a visitor.” She put down my tray and sat on the end of my bed. She twiddled a strange looking bottle between her fingers. I managed to get a glance at the label, it said Danger: Poisonous. She quickly hid it when she saw me reading it and jumped up onto her feet. She turned around and opened the door.

She let my only visitor come in. He asked how I was, yet he acted kind of strange. I had never seen this man before in my life and I had no idea why he was in my room. He gave me a look as in he wasn’t happy that I was in the hospital. He was short, stubby, had brown hair, widened and enraged red eyes. The nurse asked if I want her to stay.
“No I’m fine.”
“Just call if you need anything.” She whispered in a deep, concerned voice.
“I won’t.” She gave me a glance as in ‘you won’t be fine, you haven’t had a visitor in the past few weeks’. She turned around as she closed the door behind her. She left the clear, plexiglass door opened with a crack, in case she heard me scream. I don’t understand why the hospitals are so worried about their patients’ visitors. It’s not like they are going to kill them.
“How long are you going to be here? I would like to take a nap in a little while.”

“Oh. Don’t worry. Soon you will be happily in your place, and back on your feet. Yes, your little, angelic feet.” As I looked at him, wondering why the statement sounded like it did, I saw him leave, and talk to Janelle. He was speaking in a whisper. I snuck out of my bed, in which it seemed like it has been forever since I’ve been on my feet. I past my friend George, who had been cut on his leg by the murderer. He was sound asleep. I stood behind his privacy curtain, and I heard her crying. I tuned in and listened to the rest of their conversation.

“I can’t do it, Jim. I work for them. If I do, then I will go to jail.” She continually cried as her face turned as red as her lipstick. My eyes opened wide as she said it. I never knew my own nurse, my friend, Janelle, would do something like murder. It’s like the nurse stabbed me in the heart, with an endless amount of blood, pouring out from me.

“You have to. You made the promise. It is either kill someone who would have died anyway or you, yourself die. It’s your choice.” Jim’s face was red with anger. He turned his head and saw me running to my bed. He pushed open the door and slowly approached me. As he was getting closer and closer, I felt my heart beating faster and faster. Suddenly, my mind went blank and I passed out.

Part 2
I woke up 12 hours later, to see my nurse crying next to me. She had messed up and she knew it. She had realized that I was almost killed by Jim. She should have been someone else’s nurse and not hurt me like that. I can’t do anything about it now other than beg her to let me live. Even then, she probably lost her heart along with her mind. I can’t believe she would do such a thing like that. Then again, she might be talking about someone else, but it highly unlikely. I mean she was looking at the curtain near my bed as she was talking to Jim. What a self centered jerk he is.
“How could you do this to me? I thought you loved me.”
“Sam, I-”
“You know what forget it. You almost killed me to save your sorry butt.”
“Sam, it’s not like that. It’s not who I-”.
“Save your stories for someone else who you are going to kill. Nothing could hurt more than the betrayal in my heart right now because you decided to do the wrong thing. I don’t want to help you because I can’t fix your little backstabbing heart. Now please leave me so I can try to sleep.” I turned away and pulled the covers over my head. Janelle walked away, her face slowly turning pale, as her stomach starts to ache and she feels nauseous. She closes the door, just in time to contain herself from crying. She ruined her life and possibly her career.
I had woken up nine hours later. Janelle was in the room, tending to my friend. She looked over at me, put his tray next to my bed, and left the room, tears starting to pour down her face. Janelle hadn’t said one word to me since the argument. I was really starting to feel life taking its toll as I saw Janelle everyday, give me my food, visit with my friend, and then leave. There was another feeling in my stomach that I shouldn’t deal with this anymore. I ate my food slowly, the agony of what I had done was killing. Every bite felt as if it were ten times it side, getting stuck in my throat. Life is never going to be easy again.
The next day, a random volunteer walked in my room with my tray of food. Her name was Eliza. She had blonde hair, blue eyes, tall, lean. She placed my tray on the table next to my bed.

“Good morning, sleepy head.” She said with a very enthusiastic voice. I rolled over and looked at my clock, it was 11:30 am; the time Janelle usually came in.

“Where’s Janelle?” I asked as I rubbed my eyes and slowly sat up.

“Sam, there’s something you should know. Janelle is gone.”
“What do you mean gone? She left work?”

“Janelle’s dead.”

I was inspired from a required writing prompt from school. I extended it and turned it into a story. I hope to get it published or at least get feedback on how people might like it. I hope people will understnad how even something that can be required, can also be fun.

on Aug. 7 2010 at 11:53 am
L.C.Philp BRONZE, Phoenix, Arizona

"All growth is a leap in the dark, a spontaneous, unpremeditated act without benefit of experience."

-- Henry Miller

Very creative! I loved the end!

Btw, Will you comment my work The List!

Annie Nymity said...
on Jun. 17 2010 at 10:23 am
Creative and awesome.  Love it.