A Race Against A Dying Heart ~Chapter 1~ | Teen Ink

A Race Against A Dying Heart ~Chapter 1~

May 17, 2010
By Chickadee213 BRONZE, Elkton, Massachusetts
Chickadee213 BRONZE, Elkton, Massachusetts
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"If you ever get mauled by bears, I hope they avoid your face because I think you're cute <3"


I had to get away. It didn't matter how, but I had to make it there before- I let out a muffled scream. Pain tore through my body. I knew I was running out of time.

I only had a couple of minutes left of thinking human thoughts. I didn't care about fighting the me that I was afraid of, as long as I went numb I'd be okay. Too bad to get numb I'd have to become something that haunted me in every dream.

My screams were getting louder as the pain increased. Just a quarter mile to the woods..... if I kept running I could get there in two minutes. A shiver shook my body so hard it left my stomach churning. Nausea whispered up my throat. Those two minutes seemed to draw on forever. It was the same feeling I got when I was in the car accident when I was 9- the world was in slow motion. It hurt to breathe.

My eyes were fixated on the line of trees ahead of me. With every step I took, the trees seemed to grow a little. I focused on this, hoping it would be enough to get me forward.

It wasn't. I fell to my knees, weak with pain. Bleary eyed, I begged the skies for a chance to make this right. I would do anything for a shot at a normal life. I fell forward and gagged hard. Acid burned my throat as I puked up what used to be my dinner. I looked like a sick animal crouching there on all fours.

The color drained from my dizzy vision. It felt like it just got flushed out of me. The trees weren't green, they were grey. The sky lost it's signature blue. It was like the world around me was changing too.... becoming something dark and evil.

In an instant, the colors were back. They were intensified and sharpened and I felt like I was looking at the world through magic glasses. This was bad. My mind started going blank like a black cloth was wrapped around it. I fought against it. It didn't work.

"No matter what happens, I'm still me," I muttered as I collapsed onto the ground. My heart beat slower. My breathing stopped. An odd sense of adrenaline dripped through my veins. The bones in my body shifted and hardened, making me nearly indestructible. The pain stopped completely. Without thinking, I got up.

I was strong now. I was powerful, I was unbreakable, and the world belonged to me. I grinned wickedly at nothing in particular. Dark thoughts flooded my mind. Very cruel thoughts completely lacking humanity. These hours that belonged to this side of me, they were going to be fun.

The author's comments:
I'm working on chapter 2 now so people tell me what you think and if it isn't good, tell me what I should do better (: