Grandfather | Teen Ink

Grandfather

By nonsensical BRONZE, Parker, Colorado
nonsensical BRONZE, Parker, Colorado

"Do what you love, Love what you do. And **** the rest.

Right on time the grandfather clock, in the attic chimed. 12 chimes rang through the empty house. The old grandfather rang every hour of every day, ever since I moved into this house. It was only my third week living here, ever since my father joined the military we haven’t stayed in one spot for too long. Every house was the same, bland, and predictable. This house would have fallen under the same pattern if it wasn’t for the attic. I’ve never actually seen the clock in the attic, because my parent’s considered it “off limits”. Now normally I would simply wait until they left, to go explore it but, they were so intent on keeping what ever was up there a secret; the put a lock on the door. The 12th chime rang, telling me it was late. But I ignored the grandfather’s reminder and continued to study the bright screen of the computer. Mid-terms were only a few days away and time would not stop for me to rest. It was 12:05. 4 chimes sounded off, an awkward pause, than another 2 chimes. I looked at the clock, it was 12:06. I ignored the disturbance, simply passing it of as maybe a cracked gear or something. 12:10, 4 chimes, than another 2 chimes echoed through the house, again differing in tones. It reminded me of Morse code. But again I ignored it. 12:15, a third time the grandfather clock rang. “High, low, high, high… low, low, high.” Fingers tapped the keyboard, “Morse code translator,” I typed. 12:19, I typed in, “.-../ --.”. A hour glass popped up on the screen. 12:20, the clock chimed through the house a 4th time. The Morse code translator popped up and read, “Help me”.

This idea really came from nothing, but like any other writing I just put down what ever came to mind.

Seelix PLATINUM, Chandler, Arizona
I liked it! Can wait to know what will happen, good job!

on May. 13 2010 at 12:47 am
makemelegendary BRONZE, Prescott Valley, Arizona

"Open your eyes, look within. Are you happy with the life you're living?" -Bob Marley

This is mega creative! Now I'm dying to know what's..er...who's up there! Loved it(:

Waterlogged BRONZE, Grapevine, Texas

"Winston, you are drunk." To which Churchill responded, "and you, madam, are ugly. But in the morning, I'll be sober,"-Lady Astor and Winston Churchill

I like it! It's a very interesting idea! If you have the time will you read and comment on my short story?