Crash (part 3) | Teen Ink

Crash (part 3)

By Shelby Katis GOLD, Saugus, Massachusetts
Shelby Katis GOLD, Saugus, Massachusetts

Mia Coles: October 20th, 2003 : 10:15 PM
I jump when I hear a door slam. I leave Laura in her room while I go make sure we’re safe. No one is near the door, or around it. I begin to breathe deeper and deeper. I’m losing touch with myself. Someone from behind runs up and grabs my shoulders. I gasp so loudly Laura probably heard it from her room. I turn around, the dark face becomes visible as I push the on switch on my flashlight.
“Eric you b******, you know not to scare me.”
“Well sorry, I thought it’d be funny. Anyways, we need to get out of here. There’s some serious problems with this girl.”
The sound of tiny footsteps lurk in the background as Eric finishes speaking. We go into Laura’s room to check on her. Eric takes my hand in his. I glance at him with a smile to forgive him for startling me earlier. We’ve got to take her down to the police station or something, she needs help. It really isn’t our position to have even been here in the first place. This is all my fault.
“Laura its alright you can-”
She’s gone. Crap, what’s going on now? I pace back and forth as Eric sits down on the bed where he once was. I scan her room, thinking she could be playing hide-and-go-seek or something, trying to play with us.
“Laura, this isn’t a game, it’s very serious. Please come out honey, it’s going to be okay.”
I peer over to the tea party table to my right. Around the table is a bear, the teddy bear Eric was holding earlier, Molly the doll from the comfy couch, and a build a bear of some kind. They are all ripped and torn, unlike earlier, surrounding a note on the pink decrepit table. It reads;

Mia,
I found a note from mommy. She said daddy was going to kill her tonight. That he was planning it for a long time. She said in her note that I have something called schizophrenia. She said she’ll be back soon, and I need to do whatever she tells me to do in my head. I will get you two. You better be ready for a fight. I want revenge. No one will ever hurt me again. Well I’ll see you soon Mia and Eric!
Love, Laura

P.S. ?

It must be her disorder. She’s definitely hearing things from her mom. Eric wants to run for the hills, so don’t I. But we have to face this. I got ourselves into it, so I’m getting us out. I wanted a thrill, so I’m getting it. It’s time to be brave Mia, it’s time to be brave.
Eric and I search for her mother’s note. We need to find out exactly what she said to Laura. Maybe she straight out told her she was seeking revenge, but we won’t know anything until we find it.

Eric Roberts : October 20th, 2003 : 10:43 PM
I know this isn’t the happiest of situations I’ve been in. My dad would have loved to be here right now. I miss him so much. That is why I’m doing this in honor of my father. I now feel this is my duty to take after him. He was the most courageous man I knew. But most of all, he was my hero. Now that I’m on my own, I have no choice but to be my own hero.
Being my own hero also means finding this note. I know I wasn’t very - courageous with this whole journey, or whatever Mia wants to call it, but it’s time to get serious. We really don’t have any other option but to be serious.
Mia passes by Laura’s room. The doorway is scratched as if they were prints left from her mother’s attempts at escape. I find Mia repeatedly reading Laura’s note she left behind. The look on her face expresses the realization of horror that she, herself has gotten into.
My foot once again steps beside the broken picture frame withholding the happy images of this family’s past. Only this time, I notice an off white piece of paper behind the picture. I bent down to pick it up. The off white picture had blood stains on it, not too subtle nor drastic. The paper was lined, looking like it was belonging to a notebook.
My eyes dazed in awe at this mother’s last goodbye to her precious child. They watered in disgust as well as sympathy towards the mom. The note read as follows:
Laura, my one and only child, I hope that you find this when you are old enough to understand, and be capable to cope with this. Since you were born, your father has been abusive. The reason why was because he didn’t want to keep you as his daughter when you were born because of your disease called skitzophrenia. He promised himself, and told me that he would abuse you if you heard voices in your head from your disease. On your sixth birthday, you did. I told him to come after me instead of you. I stuck up for you every time, because you are my child, and I would never let anybody hurt you. I love you Laura. Your father, told me on your sixth birthday that if he wasn’t going to be able to kill you, he would kill me sooner or later. I will seek revenge in my afterlife, hopefully you will hear my wishes, and you will fulfill them for me. Just remember, I will always be a part of you.
Love, Your mother

I turned to Mia, she was reading it behind me as I was. She jumped, as we both felt a cold breeze from the window. It lit up the room temporarily, we both jerked our heads to the opposite side of the room.
Laura’s face was pale white, she looked as if she’d seen a ghost. She walked towards me, then fell. She crawled across the floor like a centipede.
“Laura! What the hell is wrong with you?!”
Mia got no response from the little girl. Mia ran behind one of the decrepit couches. Laura wasn’t acting herself. I went to go get Laura to lock her in a room or something, to protect the both of us.
I ran towards her, but I suddenly stopped. I don’t know why, maybe my nerves kicked in. Laura shook her head, and opened her eyes. They were as black as the darkness. A few words escaped her mouth, it was never something she would say;
“I will get my revenge.”
A kitchen knife appeared from behind her back. She ran towards me.

Mia Coles : October 20th, 2003 : 11:30 PM

I couldn’t see what happened, I only saw her run towards Eric and heard piercing screams. It was clear to me that Eric was in danger. I jerked my head, Laura was creeping up behind me. I turned around and kicked her leg, she collapsed. While I could escape, I ran to Eric.
“Eric are you okay?”
I saw Eric, he was on the floor, laying there hopelessly. He had cuts all along his arms, and on his stomach there was a message carved into his skin. I could tell it was there. It was covered in blood, and wasn’t visible enough to read. I wiped the blood off with my shirt. The message was revealed. It said;
“I will forever seek revenge. I will find her father no matter if it takes me for the rest of my life. I have unfinished business, and until I can find it, I will find revenge. No man will ever abuse me again, for I will abuse them.”
This was Laura’s mother.
Seeing the look on his face, the terror. I knew he loved me. I can’t just leave him here. I ran out of the house and went into my car. I peeled out the driveway, and drove to the hospital as fast as possible.

Mia Coles : October 21st, 2003 : 1:23 AM
“Miss Mia Coles?”
“Yes, doctor, is he okay?”
“I think your going to need to see this.”
We walked down long, narrow hallways with several doors. Sniffles, screams, and snores filled the hallways. We arrived at room number 216. The doctor closed the door behind me.
Eric was laying down, sleeping. I pulled off the sheet to find nothing on his stomach, chest, or arms. There was no more blood, no scars, and no cuts. I turned to the doctors and asked what happened.
“All we found was a minor concussion. You can go home when he wakes up.”
The door slammed. I looked at Eric one more time, he was sitting up, the door must have woken him.
“What am I doing here?”
I ran over to him, and kissed him on the cheek.
“Don’t worry about it. You wouldn’t want to know.”
He stood up, and changed out of the hospital gown. I peered over, and on his back, there was a little scar. I moved towards him to get a better glimpse.
The scar was one last message from Laura’s mother. It said; “Sorry.”
“Eric?”
He turned around.
“Never mind.”
He smiled, then turned back around. The scar was gone.

October 31st, 2008 : 12:01 AM

“I liked that story. What happened to Laura, or her mom?”
“Well her mom kept possessing other people’s souls.”
“Did Mia and Eric end up together?”
“I don’t know, maybe.”
David tucked in Lilly to go to bed. He kissed her on the forehead. He turned off the light, and as soon as he did, Lilly’s eyes turned black.