A Naill Bitter of a Game | Teen Ink

A Naill Bitter of a Game

March 29, 2010
By fofanidani PLATINUM, Hartland, Wisconsin
fofanidani PLATINUM, Hartland, Wisconsin
22 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Today was the state championship for the girls varsity softball team. They were up against one of the best schools in the state. The opposing team was from Abolitionville High School. And us from Wrightstown High School. It was bottom of the seventh and the score was six to six. Abolitionville scored 3 runs in the top of the eighth. It was bottom of the eighth, there was a girl on third base when I came up. I had two strikes and three balls on me. I needed to make this in order for us to be losing by one. The next one was a miss or swing. A swing and a miss. I couldn’t believe I missed it. My whole team was counting on me. They told me “No worries, we’ll get them in the ninth.” Abolitionville scored another two runs. We needed four runs to tie and five to win. We went through most of our girls and got three runs. I was up. The bases were loaded. I began to panic a little. I got out last inning and there was only one girl on base; this time there were three. The first few were balls. That made me feel a little better, but then the next two were strikes. It was two and two. After the pitcher released the ball I knew it was a strike. I got ready to hit the ball. I swung my bat around and all I could hear was the ball meeting my bat. I started to run and saw the ball moving further and further away. As I was running I saw the ball drop in center field. I started to pick up speed. As I was rounding the bases I saw out of the side of my eye, the ball being thrown in. I past third base and was on my way home when the ball was thrown to the pitcher. I slide into home plate as the catcher caught the ball. The ump hesitated a little in saying if I was safe or not.