Mama, I Miss You

"Mama..."

Her weak voice echoed through the freezing, desolate hallway.

"Mama..."

The cry was barely more than a whisper, and yet it was the loudest noise audible in a dead silence.

"Mama... Where are you?"

It was a pitiful and pathetic sound, one that could stir even the coldest of hearts.

"Mama, I miss you."

She looked far too old for her outfit, which just so happened to be a pure white nightgown. Her feet were bare, her dark brown hair loose and knotted. Dangling by her side she held a dusty, worn out teddy bear that looked as if he had been tossed across the room one too many a time.

"Mama..."

The hallway was simple in design, built to connect two buildings, the library and the living quarters. Both sides of the corridor were filled with large windows that looked out into a frosty, pitch hued night. Behind the girl was a sky-blue door, with a large brass handle and lock to accompany it. Opposite it, directly in front of her, was a deep red door with a large white knob, though there was no lock to go along.

"Mama, I don't understand."

There was no moon or stars to shine through the windows and provide vision. Instead, a single lantern was lit and hung high upon the stone wall.

An eerie silence blanketed the girl's ears as she stopped talking, and craned her neck to look out the dark window. After a few seconds her hazel eyes widened, as if she saw something in the impenetrable blackness.

"Mama, I see you!"

Excitement made her pale face perk up, as the hint of a smile appeared on her earlier sullen face.

"Mama, you came back..."

The brief happiness was gone, and her expression had fallen back into one of disappointment, grief, and sadness.

"Mama... I miss you. Please come back."

Her voice was pleading, almost desperate.

And then the lantern went out. The cold hallway was as dark as night, and as quiet as a morgue. Minutes went by, Marie's silhouette illuminated only by the distant lights from inside the library. After almost an hour, she spoke her final words.

"Mama, I missed you."

And then she fell, her light body crumpling onto the tiled floor...

blackmist said...
Sad, almost cried ): Well written though

Neshree replied...
Thanks so much!

whatshername said...
wow this is great! i had chills at the end...keep writing!

Neshree replied...
Thank you!