Officer Michael Stevenson | Teen Ink

Officer Michael Stevenson

By JoseP BRONZE, Levittown, Pennsylvania
JoseP BRONZE, Levittown, Pennsylvania

"If a man can't find happiness in his own home, he can't find it anywhere"

As I walked by the old mansion chills ran through my veins as fear filled my body. Everyone hears about this legend at some point in their life, I was told by my brother Alex when I was around the age of 12, couldn’t sleep for weeks. Legend has it that those who enter this house cannot stay in it for more than 15 minutes without being completely freaked out and forced to leave. Of course being young and naïve at this age I didn’t believe and wanted to try it for myself although I knew I’d be scared. It took a lot out of me just to come but my best friend Mike and I were in the mood for a scare on this Friday night, 13th of June. As we walked up the long winding driveway and got closer to the house I started to reconsider coming here. Mikes’ voice echoed in the back “We came this far we’re not going back” as if he some how read my mind.
We stood at the bottom of the porch steps looking up at the old double wooden doors that must have been there since the house was built. Creek after creek we walked up the old porch steps as my heart started to thump faster and faster with each step. I could hear Mike gulp as sweat started to run down my face and I felt as if my nerves were shot at this point. Boards covered the windows along with signs that read “No Trespassing” and a steel bar lay across the doors holding the doors closed. The bar was too heavy to move and the boards on the windows wouldn’t budge, we couldn’t find a way in from the porch.

We walked around the house and found several basement windows but all of them had been pad locked from the inside, and even if we were to break the glass it were too small to fit through. We decided to keep looking around, there had to be a way into this house. As we made our way to the back of the house we found cellar doors, Mike tried opening them but they didn’t move, we needed some type of leverage if we were going to get them open. We found a fallen tree branch and used it to pry open the doors.
As we walked down the stairs, lit by only our flashlights, we realized that the stairwell was completely covered in cobwebs. This made it harder to see because the webs dimmed the light in front of us. As we started to look around the basement we realized the entire room was empty, not a single object lie in the room. This creped us out even more as we started to head for the stairs leading to the first floor. As we walked up the stairs we heard a baby cry as my heart sunk to my stomach and I felt my lungs collapse. Was I imagining this or was there really a baby upstairs? We slowly continued up the stairs as the sound of the cry still filled our ears then what happened next made me jump…we heard a old lady’s voice say “Now, now child don’t be afraid they won’t hurt us”. Did she know we were in the house?

I didn’t know if we should leave then or open the door but we were so caught up in the moment that we decided to open the door. In the kitchen was the scariest woman I had ever seen in my entire life. She was old with long greasy white hair and she wore a long black nightgown and had most of her teeth missing. She sat in an old rocking chair and next to her was a carriage with a baby in it and standing over the baby was a young girl, she had long dark hair that covered most of her face and a pure white gown on, but her eyes looked as though she was possessed. I couldn’t scream, something was restraining me from speaking as if my voice box was removed.
I looked at Mike and we both turned and sprinted down the stairs as we heard the old woman’s voice echo “ We’ve been expecting you, why leave so soon?” this sent chills down my spine. Our flashlights went out as we started to reach the cellar doors, we turned and looked back as we heard the woman trudging down the stairs yelling, “You’ll never escape alive!” I wanted to cry I was so terrified I pushed open the door and started sprinting towards the front of the house, I heard Mike yell, “Help!” I looked back and he had tripped and the woman was holding his foot. I ran back and as I went to pull him I realized the woman was not a woman anymore but in fact it was a creepy looking man!
I pulled Mike as hard as I could and he broke free, we both sprinted to the front of the house and down the long winding roadway not looking back until we reached the main road. We were both out of breath and we didn’t know what to do, a police car was passing by and the officer stopped to ask us if we were in trouble because by the looks of it we were a mess. His name was Officer Michael Stevenson and we explained to him what had happen to us, he called for back up as he raced down the driveway towards the house.
Back up never showed up, the officer never returned. We went to the local police station to report what happened. The sergeant Adam Jones asked us if we knew the officer’s name, “Michael Stevenson” I replied, the sergeants eyes widened and then his face went pale. “Boys”, Jones replied, “Officer Stevenson has been dead for 15 years”.

To be honest with you, this piece was written for an assignment for my creative writing class and after I finished writing it, it really made me scared so I figured I'd share it with others. I hope that the reader sees the imagines of everything taking place through the imagery I used to create this piece.

StephenKingfan7 BRONZE, East Hartford, Connecticut

"What do you know for sure?" - Gene Siskel

its ok. kinda cliche, but not at all gay . i rated it five eh?

JoseP BRONZE said...
JoseP BRONZE, Levittown, Pennsylvania

oh haha alright thought you were one of my friends from school, check out my other piece its called "Pearl in the Murky Water" under Personal Experience, it's a true story.

jjjoonnniii said...
I assumed that was your name from the comments before. PAEZ92

JoseP BRONZE said...
JoseP BRONZE, Levittown, Pennsylvania

How do you know me?

jjjoonnniii said...
Paez, this is good!

JoseP BRONZE said...
JoseP BRONZE, Levittown, Pennsylvania

Aw Thank You:)

SarahIsHere said...
I really like your work.

JoseP BRONZE said...
JoseP BRONZE, Levittown, Pennsylvania

Love you aunt D:)

JoseP BRONZE said...
JoseP BRONZE, Levittown, Pennsylvania

wow, thank you very much antdscrpa means a lot to hear someone say that, I'll let you know when I write it ha. Thank you so much.

antdscrpa said...
Excellent story. You are a very talented writer. I will buy your first book. Keep up the excellent work.

JoseP BRONZE said...
JoseP BRONZE, Levittown, Pennsylvania

Thank you to everyone who has read this, please rate my piece at the top, I'm hoping to be published in the magazine.