Friday Morning | Teen Ink

Friday Morning

By teeninklover BRONZE, Fonda, New York
teeninklover BRONZE, Fonda, New York

It starts out like any normal Friday morning. I wake up, stretch and make my way down the hall to the bathroom. But little do I know that my life will change as soon as I turn around. As I enter the bathroom I look in the mirror and barely stifle a scream, because the face in the mirror isn’t mine. I can’t believe what I am seeing. I think I am dreaming and I pinch myself.
“Okay” I say to my reflection, “You’re dreaming and as soon as you shut your eyes you’ll wake up.” But I realize as I open and close my eyes a dozen times that this can’t be a dream. I am in someone else’s body and I am awake. As the realization sets in I start to scream hysterically. A few moments later my screams are interrupted by pounding on the bathroom door.
“Clarissa?, what’s wrong?” I hear a woman shout. I immediately stop screaming.
“Who is it?” I ask and as an afterthought I add “Wait, who’s Clarissa?”
“Just open the door.” she shouts again.

As I unlock the door I scan the bathroom for possible weapons, but I find none. I brace myself against the counter and watch as the door swings open. Through the door steps a heavyset woman with short red hair, the same color as the girl in the mirror had. The woman looks me over and then begins to speak.
“What do you mean who’s Clarissa? You’re Clarissa and you’re gonna be late to school if you don’t leave soon.” And with that she shuts the door and walks away.
“But my name is Cameron, not Clarissa”, I yell after her. But when she doesn’t come back I figure I should make the best of the situation. I head back to the bedroom I had woken up in, because I will probably draw too much attention to myself if I try to jump out of the bathroom window. As I walk back to the room I look over the house. It looks like my house and, it even smells like my house, but it can’t be because the people who are living in it aren’t my family and I’m not me. I am freaking out and I can’t breath. I realize I am having an asthma attack. I can’t remember where my inhaler is and I start to panic. I run down the stairs and yell for the woman to come help. But, when no one answers me, I know that screaming is of no use. No one can hear me. As I run to the living room I trip on the rug and fall. I can’t get up and I can’t breathe. As I lay on the rug gasping for breathe I think of my mother and my father and start to cry. This is the last time I will ever cry again. As my mind is overcome with darkness, the last thing I hear is the woman humming to herself in the kitchen.

The light is so bright. I keep thinking to myself, am I in heaven? But as my mind clears and my vision becomes better I see that I’m in my bed. I jump up, run to the bathroom and look in the mirror. The face staring back is my own. I slowly head back to my room, get dressed and head downstairs. In the kitchen my mom is making breakfast. I go up to her, and give her a big hug. Then I change and head out the door to school. I look back once and think to myself, it was only a dream. But little do I know that this was the beginning of a nightmare that I will have every Friday morning for the rest of my life.