Death Eternal Grin | Teen Ink

Death Eternal Grin

January 26, 2010
By Are-Jay-Em-Ess BRONZE, Ruffsdale, Pennsylvania
Are-Jay-Em-Ess BRONZE, Ruffsdale, Pennsylvania
4 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
"Don't hate your enemy, it effects your judgement."
"Just because you put a coe in a cage, doesn't mean it will sing."
"Useless information, no such thing."


The halls of this great old mansion now stood bare, stripped of its pictures, its cases and small pieces of furniture. All that was left were metal wires and hooks and the faded areas where the furniture once stood. In each room the windows were open all the way, letting in the pleasant morning sun and fresh spring breeze that carried the scent of flower buds blooming. The refreshing breeze carried throughout the halls and filled each empty room. A lovely musical was performed outside by all the morning birds and the wisp of the breeze through the trees and the rustle of new leaves. The house stood at the edge of an dense and enchanting forest and a beautiful meadow filled with an orchestra of colorful flowers. But inside the hollow shell of the house, Master Malwood stood lamenting as he looked in each room, noticing the emptiness of them.

“Compare these rooms to thy heart” he mumbled under a sorrowful sigh. His eyes sank to the floor, watching every knot hole and every scratch go up and down the floor boards.

“This house, this house, o how I loathe it.” Master Malwood stated, then continued.

“How beautiful tis this day, o what a glorious morn it is, by God it would be a crime to possess even the slighted bit of mournfulness on this very day. ” he cried out to the ceiling.

Out into the hall he proceeded, ready to leave this house, and all it’s memories, behind, like that of a most dreadful nightmare. In front of him he placed his hand on the molding and gingerly ran his hand down it, closing his eyes and memorizing it as it passed through his it. He was suddenly shocked from his reminiscent as a terrifying screech came from the top floor of the old mansion. Quickly he rushed up each step, missing half of them until he reached the door to the attic. Like the other rooms all the windows were open, but in front of him stood a husky servant women, in her mid forties. With a trembling finger she extended it to the lid of an large old cloths trunk. He asked the servant what cause her to shriek, but Master Malwood was unable to understand her as she told of what she saw. He went over to the trunk and lifted the lid. In an instant, he took a step back, covered his mouth and began to weep.
***

About a year had preceded this incident, that Master Malwood had gotten married to a lovely young girl that he’d know for years. He feel for her madly, like a stone in a calm pond, they were compatible in every sense, but there was one difference that distinguish them from each other. Though beautiful in every sense, the girl never smile. Not much was know why she never smiled, Master Malwood was to indulged by her beauty that the question never arose and her close friends had always knew her that way. But after the ceremony at the church had finished and the reception complete, Master Malwood swept his bride up off her feet and carried her to the home they would live in and build a family in. The house, or rather yet mansion, was a tall building with three stories to it. Still in her snow white gown and veil, the door of the house opened with her in his arms. The house was darkened, light only by the light of the setting sun. Shadows of the furniture haunted the rooms like goblins hiding from sight. But once she stood up the lights went on and brightened and a room full of her and his friends greeted the new couple. It was the grooms intent on seeing her smile.

All night, games of old were played, games that they had played as children. Each persons true intent being to make her smile. But as the night continued on, only small grins perturbed from her face. As the group began to tire, the groom came up with one last game. Hide and seek. The groom slid his hand in front of his face and counted. Quickly everyone got up and ran to some spot in the house. After finishing the groom went on his prowl through the house. One by one the group became larger as he found each and every person.

“What of your new bride?” one of the guest asked.

“She must have found the best spot in the house, it‘s probably so secluded that not even the mice know of it.” the groom said with a laugh and a giggle. Continuing his search he looked and he looked and looked, but nothing. Finally after ten or so minutes his voice echoed throughout the house,

“Okay ---------, we give up, you can come out now.” But no answer had echoed his own. Once more he yelled.

The group became worried and spread out in every room yelling. Hours went by as the chimes on the clock sounded four. Slowly the guest left the groom until no one was left but him and the house.

Days had gone by but nothing. Day went to weeks, went to months, then finally the winter months had reared its head onto the land. A lonely soul, he watched the fire dance in his fire place, all winter until that spring day. After about a year in that house he’d given up. She was no where around. So the first chance he had gotten he sold his home. And so he packed up everything, the furniture the pictures the memories, everything.
***

Master Malwood looked inside the trunk. Draped in faded white was that of a mummy. It’s skin stretch tight against it’s skull, becoming so transparent that the color of the bone was visible. A bony hand extended out with the faded and dull lust of a golden ban wrapped loosely around its finger. It was that of his lost beloved, she had enjoyed the childhood game that she did in deed find the greatest spot in the house. Once she entered the trunk, the lid had slammed down on her and lock her away like a forbidden jewel.
Master Malwood took another glimpse at her face, the expression she wore was that of a smile, and since her skin had stretch over her skull she was actually, for the first time, smiling.