Bad Kitty | Teen Ink

Bad Kitty

By dottylover BRONZE, Birchwood, Wisconsin
dottylover BRONZE, Birchwood, Wisconsin

Whoever said nothing is impossible never tried slamming a revolving door (WITHOUT people in it. :P)

Cats are cute. Well, most. Others, not quite as much. I mean some cats just take the liberty to do away with you…

It started out when we, my mom, sister and I, got a cat from an old farm just past the highway. It was a cute little cat, about six weeks old, and was black as night with green eyes.
“Aw…mom, it’s a boy. Can we get a different one?” My little sister whined. I sighed.
“No, we’re keeping that cat.” My mom replied.
Dang it. I really didn’t want the cat. Just ‘cause it was cute, doesn’t mean I wanted it. I huffed. My sister turned to me.

“Lighten up.” She said.
My sister, out of all people, was telling me this. She usually would just whine and yell at my mother to make me stop or be happier. However you choose to put it.
“Really?” I replied. She smiled and turned away. That was odd. The cat, now on her lap, purring, looked up at me. It seemed to smile. I blinked, and the cat was looking at me. Nothing else. I shook my head and turned to look out the window. I’m just tired, that’s all. I’m fine. I sighed, and tried to fall asleep. I would do just about anything to get out of this car faster.

I woke up, and we were at home. And I was alone in the car with the cat. It was looking at me, in that innocent little way that only cats can. But it made me feel almost scared. Its little eyes watching me. I shrank back a little, and got out of the car. I don’t know why, but I was compelled to keep the door open for the cat; maybe it would run away and not look back, but then again…I didn’t need my mother and sister on my case again...

I shut it, keeping the cat in the car, and ran inside. “THE CAT’S IN THE CAR!” I yelled, once I got in, but I didn’t stop. I ran to my room, and I stared out the window and thought: The cat wasn’t who he seemed to be.

The next morning I sat on my bed, watching the ceiling. No, I can’t go insane. I’m fine… The cat’s fine…It was a bad dream. Yea, that’s what it was. I sat up quickly, and realized it was past time for school. I was late. Oh well, a day of full of video games and ice cream would be nice.

I walked downstairs and into the kitchen. I was hungry. I froze. The cat was on the counter, watching me. I stared right back. I was alone again with the cat, and I wasn’t going to lose this time. The cat slowly slunk away, out of the room. I had won this time. But it was only the beginning.

For a week, he left me alone. But, I guess he got over whatever he had as I quickly dodged the falling flowerpot that fell from the banister. Who would do that? I knew. That evil cat…he’s out to get me, I swear. I turn the corner…he’s there. I leave the room; he’s in the OTHER room. The only place he isn’t is at school, which I can completely understand. That is probably the only thing we have in common. This is why I actually like school now. Although, he’s always gone in the morning, and he appears usually sometime after school, but then, he’s gone again in the morning. I don’t know where he goes, but I intend to find out. Soon.

Tonight, I sit on a chair, waiting for the cat. I figured out that he goes at midnight. I hear him leave, the cat. He quietly sneaks out the cat door in the front of our house. But tonight, I follow him. When I hear him exit out the door, I stand up, slip on a coat, and head outside.

I get outside just in time to see our cat go around a corner of that old, abandoned quilt factory at the end of our block. I run around the corner. The cat was sitting there. What was he waiting for? Walk. I silently pleaded to him. He looked over his shoulder, as if he actually heard me.

I didn’t move. Then he once again faced the wall. Our cat started to glow, and he continued to glow brighter and brighter. I watched until he was glowing so bright, I had to look away, or be eternally blind. When I looked back, our cat was gone. Instead, a tall, gruff-looking man was in its place. As he laughed an unearthly laugh, I realized that he was the one that they talk about on the news – The Laughing Man, the escaped insane asylum patient. Then, I knew. The cat had always planned this. He knew I was going to follow him, he knew I would wait. He wanted me to know, so I would find out. Now, I’m in for it. I couldn’t do anything else – I screamed. The murderer heard me and rounded the corner. My life was over – I knew it. I’m done for. I tried to run. Honest, I did. As I was almost home, I tripped on the sidewalk. The man loomed over me. He took me by the hood of my sweater and started dragging me into the alley.

“NO!!” I screamed, clawing at his big, beefy hands. But the man did nothing but laugh as he finally turned the corner down into that deep, dark alleyway that seemed to go on forever.

Ah, I forgot to indent it, but that's okay...
Anyways, this story is just one I wrote for a project at school, and apparently, it's good. I don't really think so, but please post any comments about this story. Thanks. :)

dottylover BRONZE, Birchwood, Wisconsin

Well, thank you. I honestly didn't think this was THAT amazing as you make it sound, but thanks anyway. And what you said about the title? Yea, I didn't think of that, but thanks for pointing it out! It really does add a bit of humor!

Dragondust BRONZE, Manassas, Virginia

Life is tough. It's a lot tougher when you're stupid.

It was really good! I was just scanning the summery things, the ones that say the first couple sentences of the story? Yeah, well I read yours, and it completely freaked me out! The title was good, too. It really underestimates the story. (You say bad kitty when it's something small, and this was something not so small.) It added a little dry humor, and I thought the whole thing was scary. Well done!