2:18 AM | Teen Ink

2:18 AM

January 12, 2010
By Claire Westlie GOLD, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
Claire Westlie GOLD, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
13 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Her eyes fluttered and opened. She lifted her head to look at the glaring red numbers of her alarm clock. 2:18. But why did she wake? She had been peacefully dreaming. Suddenly, her body tensed, she saw something in the corner of her eye. Something in the window.

A man.

He was staring right at her. She felt panic rise in her chest. She had seen this before. She had felt this terror and seen this man watch her in the dead of night. Was it just a terrible dream?

Slowly, the man backed into the shadows and she quietly rose from her bed. Her knees were weak and she barely had the strength she needed. She made it to her phone and dialed 911.

“What’s your emergency?” said a dull voice. Before she could answer she heard a crash come from the front of the house. She knew it was the man.

“Hello is anyone there?” the dispatcher asked.

“I…Help.” Was all she could muster before she heard a loud crash come from downstairs. She heard him break the door and begin his ascend down the hallway. It was almost like he wanted her to know he was coming…

“Ma’am? Are you there?”

“Send help.” Then she dropped her phone on the floor. She looked around wildly looking for something to protect herself. Something. Anything. The Lamp. A book. Her shoe. Her doorknob started to shake and turn. She began to back herself into the corner. Terrifed and shaking she stood awaiting her fate.

The door suddenly opened.