Murder of Guilt | Teen Ink

Murder of Guilt

January 8, 2010
By Anonymous

I walked up the church steps not knowing what to expect. But as soon as I stepped through the big doors, I saw the coffin that my best friend, Stephanie will lay in forever. I dared not go towards the coffin, because I get this feeling in my gut, that I’m the reason we’re all here. As I make my way to my seat, I pass people, all of them wearing black. I sit down in the front row of chairs. I put my hands over my face, and looked out the space my fingers hadn’t filled, and looked at Stephanie’s coffin. As I stared at the coffin, our last conversation, came back to me as if it was yesterday………………………………...

……………… There Stephanie was, leaning against a tree, so still like. I almost thought she was dead, but when she turned her head, I thought other wise.

“Steph-”, I started. Backing off cause I didn’t really want to say anything else that would set her off.

“Sarah, don’t apologize, you can’t apologize.” Stephanie explained. “What you did was too hurtful, I don’t think I’d ever forgive you, no matter what you do.”

“Stephanie, I can’t believe I actually said something like that, I would never say anything like that.” I said, feeling so much guilt, my whole body went numb.

“Well, you did, so get over it, the past can’t be rewritten.” Stephanie Said harshly. “Sarah, you’ve ruined my life completely, so I guess theirs nothing to live for anymore.” Stephanie said slowly. As she said this, I saw her pull a gun out of her pocket, and started to raise it slowly up to her head.

“Oh, Stephanie, please don’t.” I said as I buried my face in my hands. I fearfully looked out the space my fingers hadn’t filled, and saw something that changed my life for ever.

“Goodbye, Sarah. You’ve been a good friend up until now. I trusted you, Sarah.” Stephanie said with tears forming in her eyes. “You were very loyal to me.” Stephanie said as she held the gun up to her head.

“No, Stephanie, don’t do it, you don’t even have a mean streak, just stop, now, please, for me?” I said with tears pouring out of my eyes. Just as I was going to pull the gun out of her hands, I saw her pull the trigger, and boom, she was on the ground, lifeless.
At that moment all I could think about is, what I had done. I never thought that telling her parents she went to the party at Debby’s would be so fatal. Her parents never let her go to party’s with me, so I don’t get what her parents were trying to protect her from. But then, at that very moment, it hit me. Her parents were trying to save her from-me, because I was her killer………………………………......................................................................

……………………….. Finally, when the nightmare was over for the second time, I realized that the preacher had already begun talking, and the next minute he walked off the stage. I still felt very scared about my flashback, but then all off a sudden I remembered what Stephanie told me when we were 7 years old…………………………

…………………….I put the purple tea cup in Stephanie’s hands so she could fill it up with tea. After she handed it back to me I set it on the matching plate. I drank some, then, it was my turn to be the tea lady, and Stephanie put her tea cup in my hands. I filled it with some tea, spilling some on the carpet. I handed the tea cup back to Stephanie.
“Sarah,” Stephanie said. “You are my best friend, and always will be-no matter what happens.” Stephanie said as we were picking up the tea set. “Not even death can separate our friendship.”


The author's comments:
Originally, this story started out as a Language Arts assignment, but I had some free time so I expanded the story.