Only Trick, No Treat | Teen Ink

Only Trick, No Treat

January 4, 2010
By Alexia Haidemenos SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
Alexia Haidemenos SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
5 articles 0 photos 0 comments

A mansion overlooking Lake Whisper, stood dark and gray on a Halloween night. The willows surrounding the ancient Victorian swayed back and forth causing shadow-like figures onto the faded brick. When a group of four teens rang the cracked doorbell in their flagrant attire, a clandestine figure invited them into the house. They didn’t even have a chance to speak the lines they rehearsed, “Trick or treat, smell my feet.” The inane teens entered the house without discussing it with one another. As they followed the man into the hallway, the door slowly squeaked shut behind their footsteps. The somewhat dimwitted broad concurred with the man when he asked, “Would you all like to stay for dinner?”

After that mysterious Halloween night, no one ever saw the four high school students alive again. Their decapitated bodies washed up in Lake Whisper a week later. The victims’ families rampantly question what kind of human being can perform this unethical act? No one can figure out why the teens were not admonished with past crime events on that lake. The community was undoubtedly duress with knowing that a monster lives among them.

What happened on that inexorable night will forever remain a mystery. Every Halloween night, the local sheriff will drive down to the lake and watch the house. Trick or treating is no longer allowed in the community for ghastly memories it opens.
The culprit was never found.